Realization

I was awoken by someone softly calling me.

"Ivy. Come on, wake up. We're here."

I look up and see Alan staring at me. I must've fallen asleep on the way here. I try to stand up but then remember where I am.

On a bus. In handcuffs. Right next to Alan.

I sigh and look over at him. I can tell that he feels guilty, but i already told him that he doesn't have to be. He thinks that he got me in this position, but I have some part in it, too. I open my mouth to say something, but then the guards get up and unlock our chains.

Me and Alan instantly leap up to stretch our limbs. A six-hour bus ride can make you really stiff, ya know.

Soon, we're getting off of the bus, and I almost face plant from what I see. But thankfully, Alan catches me so I mumble a quick thank you before looking around again to make sure my eyes don't deceive me.

I'm the only girl in this hell hole.

"Alan."

He looks down at me due to our height difference.

"Hmm?"

"Don't you notice something weird?"

"Uhhh no not really"
His southern drawl makes his words sound a lil weird but I've grown to really love it over the years. But now is not the time Ivana. There's bigger matters on your hands than Alan's voice.

"Alan, I'm the only girl here."

As soon as the last word leaves my lips he whips his head around and realization dawns on his face. "Oh shit" he mumbles to himself.

He instantly puts his arm around my shoulder protectively and and pulls me in closer when all eyes turn to us. Well, more so turn to me.

All I can see are boys and holes for miles. And that's when I realize that this is going to be the longest year of my life.