Prologue: The Silence before the Storm

500 billion years agoA realm beyond the mortal world

A realm beyond the mortal world

The Goddess' POV

"My Lady, the vortex has been shattered." Came the concerned voice of the God of Minutes.

"They're here." I answered knowingly, placing my goblet down on a glass table adjacent to me.

"I don't understand My Lady. This isn't part of the ten possible outcomes we have seen for today." He answered.

"No, it isn't." I agreed solemnly.

"Then how would My Lady have known this?" He asked respectfully, bowing his head before me.

"I've had a premonition prior to the creation of the vortex. All is going according to plan." I sighed heavily, looking away from the crackling fire that purred in the drawing room of Time's Palace.

"Have you warned the others?" I asked, though many would later accuse me of asking this as a second thought.

"Yes. The three bells have been tolled." The Lord of Minutes responded.

"All at once?" I enquired, an eyebrow raised in amazement at their competency for once.

"Yes. My brothers, the Lord of Seconds and the Lord of Hours and I have tolled the bells simultaneously, three times."

"Good." I sniffed, uncrossing my legs to rise from my high backed, navy, velvet chair.

"Stay, Little one." I muttered over my shoulder at the large golden winged cat that sat on her haunches on the other side of the chair I was seated in.

Almost nodding, she gave a low growl in acknowledgement of my command.

Yes, Mother. She whispered in my mind.

Nothing was pastel in our palace.
Nor did we appreciate bright colours. Every member of the council wore the dark blue robes of Time. And it was mandatory for guests to don the robes as well, whenever meetings were held at court.

Colours were for the outside world. Time is beyond that.

Except for my Loyal One. She got to roam in any colour she  wanted.

Even if she shifted her shape.

However, if she shifted into the Healer she is, I couldn't promise the council that she'd comply with our dress code. She always wore gold or white robes.

They say that Time heals everything and that over Time, mortals perish, their blood becoming a dark blue hue.

Well, if Time were to be a colour, it would be this very same hue, navy blue.

I glided across the black marble tiles towards the vortex chamber. The doors were swinging off their hinges.

My husband, The Lord of Time who is my other half (and quite literally so, too), stood morosely in front of what mortals would call an 'enormous ornate mirror'.