Chapter 12

"I'm sorry"

Parker spoke quietly.

Chester's expression changed from a red-faced, teary-eyed reflection to a confused, disgusted one. "Really? Sorry? That's all you have to say to me; a half-assed sorry. That's all I get?" Chester protested.

"I don't-" Parker began before quickly getting cut off by Chester.

"I don't understand!" Chester spoke, tilting his hand down and grabbing his hair in a fist as he paced back and forth.

Chester started again after a brief pause, his rapid pacing coming to a halt as he faced Parker directly, looking him in the eyes as he spoke "It seems like anytime you're confronted with conflict all you do is apologize! Is it ever even a real apology? Cause last time I checked, when you apologize for something you're supposed to fix whatever it was you were doing, or at least try, but in your case, you don't seem to care! Not. One. Bit!"

Parker's brown eyes widened after hearing Chester's rant. Parker, feeling ashamed and not wanting to argue anymore, hung his head low.

"...I'm just gonna go look at the footage," Parker whispered, head still hanging close to the Earth.

"Sure, go ahead; be my guest. Walk away from any confrontation, just like you always do!" Chester snared, heart pounding out of his chest.

Hearing those words made Parker feel sick, almost like he was going to throw up, but 'he hadn't had anything to eat today, so what would he throw up?' Parker partly recalled to himself, thinking in the third person.

With that Parker gave Chester one quick, glossy-eyed, look before Chester left the shared guest room they now considered their own, leaving Parker stranded in the room alone and Chester in the hallway, seething with anger.

The doorbell rang, conveniently right after Chester and Parker's argument ended.

"Pizza's here!" The teen yelled in a sing-song voice, alerting the two boys.

Chester, now standing in the hallway on the verge of tears, takes a few deep breaths before heading towards the stairs to reunite with the two who were awaiting him for dinner.

Walking down the stairs, trying to regain his composure before reaching the bottom of the creaky steps that seemed to be never-ending at this moment. After reaching the end of the steps Chester made his way over to the teen who had already set the table up for everyone to eat off of; 4 plates, each decorated with dainty, grayish-white metal silverware that seemed to have been well-used in the past due to the chips that were scattered among the cutlery. Along with the matching white napkins that sat underneath the tableware. The pizzas sat in the middle of the table, boxes open, inviting the small group to indulge after a long day.

"You ready to eat dinner?" The teen asked, slight hesitancy in his tone, almost like he could tell Chester was on edge.

Chester nodded in response, walking over to the well-decorated table filled with fabulously greasy, yet delightful food, and sitting down with the teen and Jenny following shortly after.

After everyone got situated in their seats, Jenny was the first one to go to grab a piece of pizza, but before she could she stopped, looking up at Chester.

"Is Parker not coming down?" Jenny asked, hand hovering over the greasy goodness as she questioned Chester.

Chester, not exactly knowing the answer, looked down at his plate seemingly questioning himself too. "I don't think so," he responded, earning a shrug from Jenny as she then continued her movements towards the Italian delight, and grabbed the biggest slice she saw in the box. The teen repeated this action with the other pizza, Chester following shortly after, grabbing two slices, one of each pizza.