AU #1.3: Fated III

"Thutmose," Anntonia had said without a hint of doubt in her voice.

Anntonia and I were in the British Museum archives, looking up the information given to us by the experts. They had just done a new and improved radiocarbon dating on the statue and had managed to roughly give us a time period when the statue existed.

I nodded at her, also familiar with that era of Egypt. Of course, I had researched it when I dreamed about it, but no book ever mentioned anything about a daughter of Thutmose.

"So, we're in agreement," I said. "This statue dates all the way back to Thutmose, the pharaoh most known for his military exploits."

Miss Oxford girl scoffed. "His exploits? The guy was a fraud," she replied, with such venom in her tone. It reminded me of my dream a week ago—of Anahi, whose kisses were comparable to a bite from a desert snake.

"That pharaoh might have conquered kingdoms, but only in name," Anntonia continued, still not done with her tirade. "There was someone doing the conquering for him."

I looked back at her, almost taken aback at the sudden shift in her demeanor when she said 'someone'—her tone was soft, delicate... almost as if she's remembering this 'someone'.

I wonder if she dreams of Anahi, too.

"You really do know a lot about this," was all I could say.

Anntonia met my eyes briefly before looking back down at the old book between us. "I told you I do, Cambridge."

It made my heart ache for some odd reason whenever she looked away from me. It's like something was being stolen from me—I covet her smile, even her frown... her everything.

I shook my head to refocus.

"If you and your family know so much about Anahi, how come nobody in the Egyptology community knows about her? Wouldn't your family want her to be included in historical texts?"

Anntonia sighed. "It's complicated. As you can see, this pharaoh did everything to make sure she was erased from history, even from people's memories. And there's more to this than you know."

I don't know what got into me, but I reached out to grab her hand. Then, the words just flowed through me, "I can lend you my ears. Tell me anything, and I will listen until you have nothing more to tell."

Anntonia looked back at me, a flash of surprise in her porcelain features. "I..."

I stared back at her, silently urging her to open up to me. But alas, I could see turmoil in her eyes, and suddenly, she was pulling her hand free from mine.

"I'm going to the loo," she said, never sparing me another glance.

I watched her walk away, and I felt my heart ache even more with each step she takes away from me.

It's like there's this string tugging on my heart, pulling me after her—but I'm rooted to my spot. She probably doesn't want me to follow her.

=====

"Don't go, Metchet," I pleaded as I held her tight, unwilling to let her go.

"You know I must, my love," Metchet murmured against my neck, and though she plays it tough, I could feel her quick heartbeat against my own chest.

She was scared, too. I know it.

She was charging forth a battle against the kingdom that rivals our own empire—their army undefeated and ruthless as beasts from the underworld. And if I had known that fact beforehand, I would have never said what I said.