AU #1.2: Fated II

I was victorious.

I could taste the blood of my enemies as it dripped down my face and to my mouth, but I did not care. The bloodlust was still coursing in my veins.

If I had any wounds, I never felt them. I felt invincible.

The triumphant roars of my fellow soldiers were deafening, but they all faded into the background.

All I wanted was one thingto return to Anahi.

I felt every impulse to go running to her the moment we returned to our battle camp, but I had to indulge my pharaoh. I had to give in to celebrate 'his' victory.

So I wined and dined, and when the sun set, I excused myself—with the pretence of bedding a dancer girl, earning the hoots and cheers of the pharaoh himself.

But the moment we were out of sight, I paid the girl a hefty amount of gold coins, along with a promise of a sack of grain.

Then with stealth, I slipped into Anahi's tent—past her useless guards.

"You're back," she had said with a bright smile.

She wasn't surprised to see me—it's as if she was waiting for me and that truly warmed my heart. I was proud to have kept my promise to return, because that smile was like a healing balm to my aching bones.

If I felt invincible before, then with her presence, I felt immortal—the gods be damned, they can smite me for being blasphemous and I'll try my with all my mortal might to smite them back.

Thutmose was my pharaoh, it's true.

But Anahi is now my morning and evening star. My loyalty is with her. And my heart is hers to take.

With quick strides, I closed the gap between us—taking her face in my hands and kissing her with all my soul.

And oh, she was intoxicating.

Her kiss was like a bite from a desert snake—it was dangerous, heady and electrifying. And even so, I'd gladly die from this.

Because oh, what beautiful death this would be—to die with such euphoria.

I breathed her in, her essence, her purity—I wanted her.

But she held a hand on my chest.

I pulled back, leaning my forehead against hers and savouring that lingering burn of venom on my lips.

"We can't, Metchet," she whispered, and I can hear the despair in her voice.

I let out a breath, "I know."

And god, my heart ached for her.

But I understood.

It wasn't our time.

Not yet.

...

I woke up in a daze, feeling a tear slide down my cheeks.

Bloody hell, I must be going insane.

Because why else would I be crying over a stupid dream? Why do I ache for a woman I don't even know? And not even a woman who's physically present?

I wiped the tears from my cheeks, almost angrily.

I'd been patient... but with my dreams becoming more frequent, I'm starting to lose it.