The Love Letter

A simple letter never meant to be seen falls into the Riders hands.

~~~~~~~~~

This story is A/U.   It is inspired from the 1989-1991 TV series, "The Young Riders." 

The Young Riders is a fictional T.V. show, loosely based on the historical facts srounding about the 18 month span of the Pony Express. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Serena McIntyre brought her wagon to a halt beside the livery stable, locked the break on the buckboard and quickly leaped down. Young Tommy Watkins took the reins from her as she thanked the lad, promising to return later with some freshly baked cookies. That earned the young woman a beaming smile from the youth as he led her horse and wagon into the stables.

Without wasting another second Serena gathered up her cookbooks and journal and dashed off towards the bakery she and her older sister owned.

Today was going to be one of the busiest days since they opened 'The Baker's Dozen Bake Shoppe'. Serena was already in a frazzled hurry and the day had scarcely begun. She was already behind on making muffins for the regular morning crowd and still had a huge list of things that needed doing.

As she scurried down the boardwalk Serena mentally clicked off all she still had to accomplish so they could fill one of the biggest orders they received since opening their shop two months ago. Stepping up onto their shop's porch, she froze mid-step as she caught a glimpse of him and her heart skipped double time.

Serena couldn't help herself as her eyes followed the tall, handsome Pony Express Rider as he strode with easy confidence toward the stables. All thoughts of muffins, tea cakes, wedding cakes, breads and cookies fled her mind as she watched him disappear into the barn, only to reappear moments later leading his horse. He was adjusting a saddle as she watched his arm muscles flex as he tightened up the cinch strap and looped it through the ring and tied a knot. He appeared to be lost in his own world as he patted the horse's neck and ruffled his mane while laughing and talking softly to the fine steed. Watching him in the mornings was one of her favorite things. He was so much happier, so free of his burdens. And when she could catch him in a quiet moment like the one he was having with his mount, it filled her heart all the more. How gentle and tender he was, how genuine his smile.

Serena bit her lower lip as she continued to watch him. She let her eyes wander boldly from his strong shoulders, and down his muscled back, only to have them scandalously linger on the man's taut back side and strong legs. Her cheeks burned at her wayward actions and thoughts. Never had a man affected her in such a way before. But her attraction went further than the physical. She had seen him about town and knew him to be a good, honest man with a keen wit, and an easy smile. He also cared greatly for his friends from what she could deduce from her observations. Perhaps that was the real attraction, she mused. As she watched him slip the bridle gently over his horse's head, a sigh escaped her.

"Serena, what are you doing still out here? Get on in here will ya. We open in an hour and still have blueberry muffins to bake!" Margaret McIntyre hollered as she stood in the doorway with hands on hips narrowing her eyes at her obviously distracted younger sister.

Serena nearly jumped out of her skin as she clutched at her heart, horrified at having been caught staring so blatantly at a man.

"Oh, my goodness! Maggie, you scared me half to death. You shouldn't go sneaking up on people like that."

"I was far from sneaking, Serena. It seemed something had you rather distracted," Margaret replied with a bit of laughter woven in her words.

"I wasn't distracted," Serena snapped defensively. "Something just caught my eye, that's all." She quickly ducked her head to hide her burning cheeks and hurried past her sister inside the shop.