20; chasing after you

Every time! Every damn time! One step forward, five steps back. It's like a never-ending cycle for Ishan. No matter how hard he tries to climb out of the pit, life always finds a way to drag him back down to rock bottom.

As the icy water splashed against his face, Ishan shivered involuntarily, the cold leaving him numb.

The article... It was like a flame, not the kind that only extinguishes after turning everything in its path to ashes. But the kind that lasts for a short period, but it's enough to leave a permanent burn.

These rumors and gossip weren't new to cricketers; they came and went like passing storms. They'd last a day or a week at most.

Sure, the buzz would die down eventually, overshadowed by upcoming test match and IPL, but for now, it felt like Ishan's personal life was under a microscope for the world to scrutinize.

Initially, he had planned to have a heart-to-heart with Shubman, to discuss the uncertain future of their friendship? Relationship? A bit of both? But after reading the article, he knew that was no longer an option.

This... thing between them would one day be the reason for their downfall. Ending it before it took the form of a calamity seemed like the only sensible choice now.

And so, Ishan made the decision. It was time to walk away, to protect himself from further heartache, even if it meant letting go of the one person who had meant the world to him.

Trying to talk it out with Shubman would only make it harder to say goodbye.

His eyes drifted to his phone, where the damning message stared back at him: "Let's just end it. Let's give up." Shubman had seen it, the "seen" status mocking Ishan's vulnerability.

A knock on the bathroom door startled him as Shreyas's voice cut through the silence. "Hey, I'm heading out for lunch. Need me to bring you anything?"

Ishan swallowed hard, "No, but thanks for asking," his words feeling hollow.

A question followed after the brief silence, "Ishan, you'll be fine, right?"

Fine? Ishan couldn't remember the last time he felt anything close to fine, not since his heart decided to betray him and fall for Shubman.

"Yeah," He forced out, fearing that if he said too much, he'd break down completely.

God, he missed the love-struck mess he was just a few hours ago, blushing furiously and burying his face in his pillow as Shreyas teased him about the "mosquito bite" on his neck. Now, it all felt like a distant memory

"Okay then. I'll be back soon," Shreyas replied, not too convinced by Ishan's answer but let it slide for the time being.

Shreyas would understand; he'd been through a similar ordeal with a nasty rumor of his own involving Chahal's... It was foul to even think about.

.
.
.
.
.

Ishan heard the door close followed by the sound of footsteps coming closer and closer. Did Shreyas leave something behind, Ishan wondered.

Approaching the bathroom door, Ishan's hand hovered over the doorknob. Just before he could turn it, a familiar voice whispered his name from the other side.

His breath caught in his throat and he froze. Ishan sighed heavily, letting his forehead rest against the door, his breath misting the cool surface. Of course, it had to be Shubman.

"Get out," Ishan managed to utter, the words barely louder than a whisper, a plea more than a command.

"Ishan, please... open the door," Shubman's voice came through, laced with desperation. Ishan could almost feel Shubman's weight against the door.