1 - Summer

Cassandra Valentine

High school is an important part of a girl's life. Freshman year you're excited for homecoming and boys especially older boys. Sophomore year you're turning 16, finally of age to drive. Junior year is the "if you didn't last year do it now" year, lose your virginity, get that car. Finally, Senior year, senior prom, senior skip day, you participate in all the spirit days.

It's your last year, therefore the most important. After senior year you'll be off to college, leaving your parents, your home, and your friends. Today was my first day of summer. It's time for the last best summer before becoming an adult. Every 18-year-old girl was off to have fun with friends or on a trip. Not this 18-year-old, I was standing in a Bridal Boutique.

"Hey Hunny!" My mother shouted from outside my door.

I looked around at the different shades of white dresses around me. The mess was a struggle to get out of, but I made it out with large steps. By the time I got out my mother had already opened the door.

"I've picked out a couple of dresses I think will suit you." The woman who works here A.K.A. my best friend A.K.A. my maid of honor.

"Thanks Viv." My lips curled up into a smile, as I took the first dress, slipping my sleeve down.

I made my way to the dressing room. Vivian and my mother sat on the white leather couch waiting for me to finish. My current childhood clothes slipped off as if the wind were blowing leaves off trees. I stepped into the white dress of adulthood. Younger Cass would be disappointed that I'm getting married so early.

"This dress isn't for me." I suggested as I walked out.

"I think it looks dashing on you Hun." My mother's teeth shined in everyone's faces as she grinned.

It was a white mermaid dress with glitter and flowers thrown on it. I wasn't fond of it because of how revealing it was. If I was going to get married to some pedophile, I at least wanted to look decent. I took the dress off, slipping into the next one. This wasn't half as bad but now it covered too much.

"Not this either." I faced Vivianne this time.

"Boo!" She frowned, "I really thought that dress would look good on you."

I laughed as I headed back to the fitting room. The next couple dresses weren't too great. Some were pretty but I had to go "bigger!" The guy I was marrying was filthy rich so mom was convinced I couldn't be simple.

We went through a series of, mermaid dresses, ball gowns, simple dresses, revealing dresses. Don't get me wrong all of them were gorgeous, just not for me. It looked like we were falling into a ditch until the dress came along. It was beautiful. It was a V shape at the top but curved. The sparkles weren't crazy. It was a ball gown, there was a sort of layered part at my waist. I loved it. The sleeves fell off my shoulders.

"This has to be the one." I bit my lip softly, staring at the reflection in the mirror.

"Woah," Vivianne placed her hands on my shoulders. "Damn Cass you look beautiful."

I held my curls up to really get a good look. Styling my hair wouldn't be horrible. I'd keep it up to bring more attention to my face and dress. My curls would be put in a low bun, with little strands falling from it.

"I love how it looks on you, we'll buy it." My mother raised from her seat.

I nodded, heading back to the fitting room to change back into my regular clothes. My body wasn't problem, I had thick thighs, a flat stomach, a round ass, my chest wasn't too big or too small. The only insecurity I had about my body were my stretch marks. Those and my back dimples. 

"When can I meet this mystery man." I crossed my arms across my chest as I made my way out.

My mother's conversation with Vivianne ended as soon as I entered the room. "Mystery Man" was the son of my mother's best friend. I met his mom Aurora a couple times. Never him though, he grew up in a boarding school in I

"Tomorrow afternoon," Mom's grin was enthusiastic, she was absolutely thrilled. Thrilled to be giving her only daughter away. "He's invited us for dinner at his home."

"Great!" I faked my enthusiasm as we walked out to the car. "Can Viv come?"

My mom tapped her chin, "Only if you two don't act a fool." She gave Vivianne a sharp look.

"You got it!" Vivianne fixed her posture real fast.

"Bye babes." I kissed Vivianne's cheek before getting in the car.
______________
I stare at my closet, closet full of my favorite clothes. Usually, comfortable is the way I like to dress, mom says now that I'm marrying a rich man and have to dress up more. "You'll be in the cameras now Hun, you must look presentable." She's happy I'm marrying some snobby rich white man to make her famous. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be doing this.

Tomorrow, I'll be meeting the man I'm going to spend the rest of my life with. I wonder if he's old, or young, handsome, or ugly. He's famous as shit according to my mother. There'll be paparazzi there, so I have to look phenomenal. Now I'm not poor, we have money. We're just not well known. I have a couple dresses in mind.

I reach towards the back, staring at the dress my dad made me for my birthday before he died. He died in a plane crash on the way back to a business trip, it was a week after my birthday. I've never worn the dress; guess I've been saving it for the right moment. It's a long, beautiful dress, black velvet, the sleeves fell off the shoulder.

It wasn't the dress for this event. The dress stared back at me as I placed it back in its special spot. I pick out a plain black dress, nothing special, but it will be with the right accessories.