𝟎𝟎𝟒

Here's a fun fact: Everett Barton is not scared of prisons. She is scared of Thanos, and The Red Room, and that creepy little cheetah on the front of a bag of Cheetos. But one thing she is not scared of is prisons. She spent a good portion of her childhood in prison cells and the like. But for some reason they do not trigger her fear. The things that would happen inside of them, yes. The people that would do those things, also yes. But not the cell itself.

Which is why as Sam, Bucky, and Everett walk down the halls of the Berlin Correctional Facility, no fear filled her bones. No ice crawled up her spine. No anxiety spiked through her chest.

They were being escorted by a prison guard through the white hallways, and Everett found herself wondering about how she would survive in prison. Would she be okay? Or would others try to eliminate her?

Okay, let's be real, Secretary Ross would sooner put Everett in a straitjacket than allow her to serve a sentence in a prison filled with "normal" people.

The guard slows, and gestures to a corridor just ahead of them. "He's just through that corridor."

Bucky nods. "Give us a sec."

The guard nods in response and walks away. Sam turns to Bucky, and Everett watches both in silence. Since their therapy session, they've been less biting with each other. Less snide comments, less attitude.

"I'm gonna go in alone."

A scoff leaves Everett's mouth, and she ducks her head as Bucky turns his ice-blue eyes towards her.

Sam's brow furrows. "Why?"

"You're an Avenger. You know how he feels about that," Bucky states like it's obvious.

Everett rolls her eyes. "Don't act like you aren't one either. Just because Steve dipped doesn't make you or me any less Avenger than Sam."

Sam smirks at her words. "It's not like you two were known for frolickin' in the sun together."

Bucky steps closer to Sam. "He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together. Trust me. I got it."

And he doesn't give Sam or Everett any room to respond as he walks away from them.

Everett allows a deep sigh to escape her. "Sometimes I forget how broody he is."

---------------------------------------------

Everett Barton would like to make a request to rescind her previous statement about James Buchanan Barnes and his broodiness. She would like to change her statement to as follows:

Everett Barton really hates how freaking mysterious Bucky can be when he's done something stupid.

"What are you talking about, 'You wanna break Zemo outta jail?'"

Oh, yeah. This is the current conversation topic.

"Where the hell are we, Buck? Have you lost your mind?"

Yes. He has 100 percent lost his mind.

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing," Bucky says despondently. Everett doesn't like the way he's talking. It was like he'd already given up.

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars," Sam says. Everett can tell that he's so fed up with Bucky and the Scooby-Doo shit he's dragging them through.

"We also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose," Bucky counters.

"Zemo's gonna mess with our minds. Especially yours. Especially Everett's. No offense to you, but there is no way in hell I'm letting you drag her right back to him after the shit he put her mind through."