𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗸'𝘀 𝗙𝗹𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 (𝗥𝗶𝘀𝗲 𝗨𝗽)

Maddie rolled over in bed. She groaned as she had a hangover. And the last thing she needed or wanted was to deal with work. But she knew she needed to go in.

Ever since Owen Hunt had joined, Maddie had been doubting herself. About Whether or not she was good enough to be a doctor. She felt as though she wasn't. And it hurt her.

All she had ever wanted was to be a surgeon. But Owen had made her doubt it all.

Maddie sat on the bed. She looked up as Chloe and liked in. She looked to her. "I haven't been to sleep. Whatever. These are amazing. They're... they're all about the medicine. I mean, there's, like, no personal crap, no talk about boyfriends or feelings. She hardly even mentions me, you and Mer!" She said.

"Yes, thank you for pointing that out. What about when she held the retractor for six hours without moving?" Maddie said as she looked to her.

Maddie saw Derek walking past. "I'll have a coffee if you're making one. Thanks," she said as she turned back to Maddie. "They're like the harry potter books we never had. Hey, did you read the part when she did the pyloric stenosis on the 3-week-old baby?"

Chloe blinked. "Maddie. You need to sleep. You don't need more coffee," she told her.

Maddie shook her head. "No I don't. I'm good," she said as she looked to her. "Our mom was hardcore. Like really hardcore."

****

Maddie walked over to Chloe. She smiled. "Hey, you're late. She has skills lab. I'm not gonna make it with Owen Hunt. I will end up in jail," she told her.

Alex looked to his little sister. He rolled his eyes. "Good morning, Madeline."

Maddie frowned as she looked to him. "Dude I still don't like you. So leave me alone," she said.

"See you later?" Chloe said as she looked to Alex. Maddie was dragging her off. "You're annoying you know that?"

"I know. But... I haven't slept."

"Knock yourself out then!"

"Mean!"

****

Derek walked over to Bailey who had been talking to her husband on the phone. "How's that going?" He asked.

Bailey scoffed. "You just heard us arguing about the marriage counseling. How do you think it's going?" She said as Derek yawned. She shook her head. "No. You're doing a craniotomy on my patient rosemary bullard today. Now are you gonna be awake for that, or will you be yawning into her brain?"

"Meredith kept me up most of the night."

"I don't want to hear about your dirty, nasty..."

Derek shook his head. "Talking with the twins. The Grey sisters can talk a lot."

Bailey nodded and smirked. "And they stole your sleep? Did you say they go or I go?" She asked.

Derek scoffed. "I don't think I'd win that one. Those three come as a set. You should know that by now," he told her. 

Bailey nodded. "Talk to Mark Sloan."

"No. I think counseling's a good move. Addison and I did counselling."

"Right before you got divorced?" Bailey called out to Derek as he walked off.

****

Chief Webber walked in. He smiled. "Ladies and gentlemen. Allow me to introduce to you...," he began as he removed a white sheet from off of a mannequin. "Stan."

Maddie jumped a mile as the robot blinked. Chloe frowned. "What the hell is all of that about?" She asked.

"A state of the art, computerised patient simulator. Stan can educate you in airway management, trauma assessment and care. He breathes, he pulsates, he seizes, he haemorrhages, he secretes and he speaks," Chief Webber said. He turned to look at the mannequin. "Hello Stan."