Toshiro V

Ryusuke had wanted to go after Kageyama immediately. As soon as they got back to Hiroshima, the young detective offered to do all the paperwork to get them a warrant to search the Kageyama Medical Group's main facility. But Toshiro knew better, he knew all they had was the word of an old professor, they needed a lot more if they were going to go after the biggest medical research group in Japan. This is why Toshiro found himself headed to Okayama.

One of the widows of the purported pediatricians returned his call, the husband of Manami Shibata. According to his research, Shibata was a well-respected pediatrician who graduated top of her class at Okayama University Medical School. All the other doctors whom the professor told them about had similar pedigrees; well-respected, unassuming pediatricians.

"You think this guy will have anything for us?" Ryusuke asked.

"Almost definitely. He seemed eager to meet on the phone. Says there's no way his wife would have killed herself, he wants to tell us his side of the story." Toshiro explained as they drove down the highway towards Okayama.

"Everyone who has a loved one who commits suicide says that. They're too close to the person to see the depression creeping in and taking hold." Ryusuke argued.

"That may be, but mister Shibata is convinced that his wife was in a perfect, healthy state of mind when the purported suicide occurred. Says they were trying to have kids." Ryusuke explained.

"If the guy was so chatty on the phone, why didn't you just complete the interview there?"

"Says he has something we need to see. Besides, In-person interviews are better, you get to look them in the eye and that helps you decide if they're telling the truth or not, or if they're holding something back."

"Couldn't you just use your power on the phone to get all that?"

"No, I tried. It didn't work over the phone."

"Ohhh, wow. Maybe it has something to do with the electromagnetic field made by the phone. Maybe magnets are your weakness, like kryptonite!" Ryusuke joked.

Toshiro grunted a laugh.

"No, I don't think that's it. It's like he had no presence on the phone, I didn't hear any of the usual 'waves' coming from him that normally draw me in." Toshiro said.

They finally reached the Shibata residence a little after noon. The modern design boasted of an above-average income and the clean neighborhood suggested a nice place for kids to grow up. The two men walked back up the walkway shaped like a river that cut through the neatly kept grass. Plants of all kinds sprouted a cornucopia of color along the flower beds at the fringes of the house.

Toshiro rang the doorbell, and a moment later, the door opened.

"Hello." The strapping young widow greeted them with a squirrely demeanor, he scanned the street behind them. Toshiro noticed his handsome face showed the ravages of grief.

Bags under the eyes, red circles around them from rubbing, face drawn from rapid weight loss.

"Hello, thank you for having us. I'm Detective Nakagawa, we spoke on the phone. This is Detective Tamaguchi, he's my partner."

"Ah, yes, the pleasure is all mine. Thank you for coming, I'm glad the justice system hasn't given up on my wife." He said with a face full of determination. "Please, come in." He bowed and gestured into the home.

The detectives returned the bow and followed his pointing hand into the well-manicured home.

"What do you mean?" Ryusuke asked, as soon as the front door shut.