Mr. Bush (2023)

I'm at home after that whole Penny situation. Why would she lie about June coming to her about the picture of Mr. Bush? It doesn't make sense. Unless Penny was involved in the web. Maybe Penny was jealous of June and Mr. Bush's relationship. It's a far out there theory, but it's the only thing I could think of for Penny's motive. I need to talk to Edward Bush.

I call Maggie and she adds Jalen, of course, to the call.

After Jalen accepts the call Maggie speaks up, "Hey Jalen."

"Hey baby." Jalen says, sounding tired.

"Henry said he has an idea." Maggie says.

"Ok." Jalen answers.

I roll my eyes, I don't think I'll ever not find Jalen's voice annoying. "I've been thinking and the whole way Penny answered the questions was weird." They keep quiet so I continue, "what if she was in love with that teacher."

'What?" Maggie asks.

"It would give her a motive, she could still be working with Victoria. I'm just saying it's a possibility." I say.

"So what's your idea, Dawton?" Jalen asks.

"We should take a road trip.. to Georgia." I say.

"Why are we taking a road trip to Georgia?" Maggie asks.

"To visit Edward Bush. We can ask if Penny was one of his victims." I say.

"And he's just gonna admit that?" Jalen asks.

"Probably not outright. We can just lie to him." I say.

"Lie how?" Maggie asks.

"Just say Penny told us and see how he responds." I say.

"That could work..." Maggie says.

"So who's in?" I ask.

"I am," Maggie answers. "Jalen?"

"I guess I can." Jalen says.

We stay on the phone a few more minutes discussing how exactly we were going to get there and back. Talking about it makes my adrenaline sky rocket.

We decided to leave the next day and take Maggie's car. I don't expect to be there overnight, so I don't pack anything. I told my mom I was going to stay with Maggie for the night again. She was worried I wasn't going to come back, but I assured her I was.

Maggie pulls up with Jalen in the passenger seat, "C'mon!"

It's seven in the morning and they're already wide awake. I walk to the back seat and get in the car.

"Ready for a four hour road trip?" Maggie asks, looking back at me.

"Thrilled." I answer.

Jalen laughs, "Let the trip begin."

It's been an hour and Jalen won't stop talking about my poetry from yesterday, "I can't believe you just came up with that!"

"What can I say? I'm poetic." I answer.

Maggie laughs, "I don't like how you dissed me though."

"I did what I had to." I say, laughing.

"At least that punch gave you a rhyme." Jalen says.

"Yeah a rhyme and a swollen eye." I laugh.

"You got a good hit on me too." Jalen says.

"Hits", I correct. Jalen only rolls his eyes but I can see a small smile on his lips.

I've been sleeping basically the whole trip. When I wake up I check my phone and see it's been three hours. We should be there soon. I stay laying down and over hear Jalen and Maggie.