The Real June (2023)

It's June 12th. The day June went missing. I never thought I'd be mourning her. At least not until we were older, but I am and I can't change what happened. I force myself out of bed because June wouldn't want me to wallow in self pity. She'd want me to go on with life and be happy. Even though she was the happiness.

My phone has been getting blown up since 8 a.m. The memorial is today and I have to be in town square by 3 p.m, so I can help decorate and what not. It's not that I don't think June should be remembered. I just hate seeing everyone from high school. They'll all act like they knew June, which the majority of people didn't.

When I leave my room my mom smiles at me from the stove, "Hey sweetie! You want some pancakes?"

"No thanks", I say, grabbing a banana.

"It's going to be a good day", my mom smiles at me.

"Yeah", I do my best attempt at a smile, but it fails miserably.

"June was a special girl, and she'd want you to be happy Henry."

My voice cracks when I respond, "I know mama."

She comes over and wraps her arms around my shoulders, "I love you."

"I love you too." I say, my vision blurring.

I'm not due at the memorial for another hour, so I decide to drive around. I need to get my head straight before I say something I regret. Especially after hearing Victoria on that cassette yesterday. It's like her name keeps popping up. I need Victoria to talk about that night.

The hour is up in no time. I head for town square. When I arrive everyone's there except Victoria.

I walk up to Isaac, "Hey man."

He looks up from the computer, "Hey! I'm glad you came."

"I kinda had to." I say, laughing.

Isaac laughs at my attempt at a joke, "Yeah. Maggie's over there, she can tell you what you can help with."

I look over to the table holding a few hundred candles. Maggie is talking with Connor. I haven't talked to her since I stormed out of the cafe the other day. This shouldn't be awkward at all.

Maggie looks up as I'm approaching and her eyes widen, "Henry."

"Hey Maggie", I reply, looking at the candles. They got the most cult-ish ones. The ones that are long and white.

Connor looks at me and smiles, "Hey!"

I smile at Connor but look back at Maggie immediately after, "Isaac said you'd tell me what to do."

Maggie clears her throat, "Oh.... um yeah. Since you and Connor have the most muscle we need y'all to move the podium. Then after that just help blow up balloons."

"Doesn't sound too hard, right?" Connor bumps my shoulder.

"Yep. Not hard at all." I respond.

Moving the podium was supposed to be an easy job, but after you keep being told to "try it over here" it gets tiring. By the time they got it in the right position I was sweating. I needed something to cool me off, so I walk over to the table with refreshments. After I pour some sweet tea I see Victoria arrive. She's only 45 minutes late. I roll my eyes.

"She's alright when you get to know her." Connor says, taking a sip from his glass.

"I didn't say she wasn't." I reply.

"I know. But I also know Victoria. She definitely plays by her own rules."

"Why would you say that?" I ask, hoping to get more information about June and Victoria's feud.