A Grave is Six Feet Below

-x-

-x-

They still needed time to learn to go up and down the stairs. They barely could walk in the first place, so it was reasonable they wouldn't be able to go up or down the long daunting stairs.

But first steps are first, and they were doing much better than before. Both physically and mentally.

A week had passed, their appointments in physical therapy doing better, if not slow. Sun had been worried they wouldn't be able to walk properly, but DJ, bless his heart, assured them that they would, with training, be able to jump and run and do everything they ever dreamed of doing. It was a sweet scene, how Sun's rays wiggled at the reassurance and how his lips quirked upward ever so slightly. The doctor knew exactly what he was doing and you appreciated it greatly.

The physical therapy was easy. All Sun had to do was hold onto the two bars and walk back and forth. They were wobbly and uncertain, glancing at you for help every time they thought they'd fall, but your soft words and smile made them continue—made them hold tighter to the bars and endure. Back and forth they went for an hour twice a day. It was only for a week before they could do the physical therapy solely at home, which Sun and Moon wanted better than having to visit the daunting hospital.

It was, all in all, a good start, and Sun and Moon were doing so much better than what they did weeks ago. Both physically and mentally. And you couldn't be more proud of them.

You were making dinner when you turned around, almost dropping the spoon in your hand when your eyes met with red.

Sun stood there—yes, stood—on shaky legs with his crutch barely held. His rays wiggled at being caught and a laugh left them in surprise as they glanced down at their legs, arms stretched out to help them balance, letting the crutch fall down.

They were standing. Without the bars. Without the crutch. Oh God, they were standing!

Like a toddler taking their first steps, Sun took his, slowly, but surely, he took a step further into the kitchen, watchful of his steps and how the metallic limb followed suit. A smile stretched on his face as he took another step, eyes glancing at you when you crouched down, opening your arms in an invitation of a hug; a prize at the end of the tunnel.

Sun perked up, concentrating hard on just the daunting task of walking. Shakily, they step further in, determined. Their red eyes glance at you a moment before rushing back down, focusing.

Step in. One foot after the other. Sun wiggles slightly, almost falling down on the hard floor but caught himself midway, and sighing in relief. Step in. One foot after the other, slowly, slowly. Sun finally manages to be close enough to fall into your embrace. He giggled happily, nuzzling his face into your clothes.