Lost and Found

-x-

It was late.

Well, not super late, but still late. It was the kind of late that made Sun and Moon feel an uneasy feeling settle in their stomach, as if they were breaking some sort of rule— that time was ticking by and, with every minute they waste, the harsher their punishment would be.

It wasn't as if they had never gone out alone before. A lot of their owners would rather them go grocery shopping no matter how late it was at night instead of bothering to do it themselves— it wasn't uncommon, and Sun and Moon both knew their way through their owner's neighbor, whichever owner they had.

Still, being late, no matter the reason, never ends up being good. It didn't matter in which regard they were late at, their owners were always angry.

Though, this feeling shouldn't be there if they were already with an owner— how long their owner wishes to stay out, then they'll have to stay out as well.

So, why were they feeling so much dread from being out? They were with you!

You aren't their owner.

But that didn't matter! They're with you and you promised no harm will get them! You even promised it again not moments ago!

The dread felt like it festered deeper into them, flames calm but still overwhelmingly hot. Sun tries to assure himself (and Moon) that it will be okay. It wasn't that late and you were here, right beside them (or them beside you— Sun sat as close as he dared when you mentioned their visitors). You are nice and kind and thoughtful, you wouldn't let harm get to them, would you? Sun hoped not.

Ooh, why hadn't they gotten Mr. Goose with them? The little plushie would be better to squeeze than the little cats, afraid to harm them if he squeezed a little too much. Well, he could cling to you but that's too pathetic to do, no matter how much they do just that when you hold them. But that's different, you had given them permission to do that when you pick them up. Not now. Now they had to sit and wait for Freddy and his friend, Bonnie, to come. They had to sit and be brave and not get too overwhelmed if the two newcomers' attention decided to zero on him.

It's fine! This Bonnie knows a lot about Fazco which means whatever he says is important! Then Freddy might talk too and he'd ask them about the surgery... oh, they didn't really want him to ask about that. He'll be so disappointed in their refusal— he'd think they're self-destructive, or just seeking attention by doing something stupid— No, no no no! Freddy seemed like a good guy! He wouldn't say that! Would he? They only knew him for a few hours, and that was only Moon, who, understandably, didn't want to interact with him.

Ah, they're getting out of track. What were they thinking about?

Did it matter? Their milkshake is very tasty and focusing on that was way better than their thoughts. The purrs that vibrated over their lap were also soothing in a sense as they used their other hand to pet the gray little cat (who ate almost all the ice cream from the dessert. Not to say that Sun minded).

He'd say it was all well until he noticed the two shadows approaching them— that's when Sun wanted nothing but to crawl under anything and hide. Sun didn't mind meeting people! Not really. But most people he met were friends with those who hurt him, which made the whole ordeal feel heavy on his shoulders. He always had to be on his best behavior, be self-conscious, and well mannered. Else he gets yelled at— or worse.

But, Sun tried to reason, those aren't friends with someone who hurt him! These two were his doctor (who seemed like a nice guy) and his friend (who wanted to help). So why was Sun being so judgmental? They hadn't even spoken a word in and he was already cowering away.