04

"No way! Read it again big bro, please?!"

Alhaitham whipped his head around as he heard a loud voice in the library. Who the hell was calling you big bro?!?! As far as you knew, the only brother you had was his own father.

Unless his Grandma had some secrets...

But looking at the young boy sitting next to you, he quickly dissolved that thought.

The boy was maybe a year or so younger than him with spiky white hair which went to the base of his neck.

"I love your enthusiasm Itto, but could you please lower your voice just a little? We've got to be quiet in the library,"

The child gave you a shocked expression, covering his mouth with his hands while nodding.

He whispered,
"Can you read it again?"

"Of course,"

Alhaitham watched for a bit more before going back to following around Kaveh like a lost puppy.

"Who was that?"

You turned your head,
"Hm?"

Haitham kept looking straight forward as he walked,
"The boy. The one with white hair,"

"Oh, Itto! He's a fourth grader, lots of energy,"
You explained.

"How'd you meet him?"
The boy questioned.

"Well..."

"Remember how yesterday school got out early? Well even though daycare was cancelled, I still had to stay late grading papers.

When I was walking back home, I saw him along with some other kids on the street.

I thought they might've been his friends, but when I got closer, I found out they were throwing things at him!"

Haitham nodded along as you spoke, slowing down slightly so you'd finish the story before arriving home.

"They were throwing beans at him! And I mean it's not good to have anything thrown at you, but I figured it was better than rocks.

And I was wrong! Did you know people can be allergic to beans?! That's crazy right?!"

Alhaitham hummed in agreement, thankful for being allergy free.

"So I managed to shoo away those bully kids, and don't worry, I called their parents when I got home.

But anyways, the poor kid was practically in tears!"

You raised the pitch of your voice as you imitated the child,
"He was all like, I-I'm fine! That was nothing! And of course he wasn't.

I'd seen him on the playground before, usually he has his little entourage of friends around him, but I guess they all take different routes home.

But anyways, he kept going on like, I'm Arataki Itto! Big boss of the Arataki gang! There's no way something like a few beans could get me down!

But his eyes were still all red and puffy, and he was sniffling too.

So I just busted out my teacher talk skill, and he ended up sobbing.

He ended up grabbing onto one of my legs, crying, I don't know why everyone's so mean to me! I never did anything to them! It's not fair!

So of course I gave him a hug, and I went on about how wrong his bullies were and how I'd try to prevent it from happening again.

He asked if he could call me big bro, honestly I wasn't too sure about that, but I couldn't really deny a crying child like that.

So I told him about the daycare thing, and now instead of going right home, he'll be there with us,"

You took a deep breath as you finished your story just as you got to the front door of your humble home.

"Any questions?"
You asked.

Haitham thought for a moment before asking,
"Did you find out why they were bullying him?"

"Well Itto's a bit taller than other kids his age and has a pretty loud personality. I guess they weren't a fan of that,"

Alhaitham nodded at the conclusion. Kids could be cruel.

~•~

"Haitham, who are you looking at?"
Kaveh asked, tilting his head and looking in the same direction as the younger boy.

"That white haired boy, Itto, he's saying something to my- to our teacher,"

The two boys watched from the window as a small group of children surrounded you at the playground, the tallest of them all seeming very excited to tell you something.

You patted the boy's hair, and a blush of happiness on his cheeks as he smiled from ear to ear. Yet again your nephew was faced with how popular you were among the other students.

It gave him a bad feeling in his stomach. How could you help out so many random children when you'd abandoned your family for two whole years! Where were you when his grandmother had to grieve for her son and daughter in law, when he had lost both of his parents!

Noticing his heart rate accelerating, Alhaitham took a deep breath. No use getting angry over that now. Still, he'd hold onto his distaste for you.

"I think your red face paint is really nice Itto, did you do it yourself?"

The boy smiled proudly,
"My granny did it!"

"Well give me my compliments then. Now off the lot of you go, you don't want to waste your break talking to me, do you?"

He shook his head,
"It's not a waste! You're the coolest person in the world! Well, maybe second coolest, by granny's the best!"

Before he ended up talking to you even more, you pointed somewhere in the distance,
"I think I see a beetle over there, it's huge!"

He turned around immediately,
"WHERE?! I'M GONNA FIND IT!"

He exclaimed before running off, his friends following close by.

Alhaitham was glad Itto wasnt being bullied anymore, but he was not excited to have someone like him in his nice quiet library.

_______________

Bull boy got bullied :(

Vote on the next chapter:

Another Itto chapter

Kaveh sleepover

Giving Bennett a good luck charm