Chapter 29

October 24th 2023
-
Hailie's POV

I reluctantly leave Soph after Jackie tells me that Paul and dad have arrived and I follow her.

Dad is only three rooms down the ICU from Soph.

She knocks, opens the door and leaves me to go in.

I take a deep breath, push away the tears that are desperate to fall again and walk into the room.

An unpleasant feeling of déjà vu from both seeing Soph a week ago and dad nearly sixteen years ago after his overdose washes over me.

I realise now that I'm once again crying as I feel an arm wrap around me and look up to see Paul.

"He's strong and a fighter, it'll be alright Hai."

I now take in the sight before me properly.

The room is set out the same as Soph's, the machines are beeping the same as Soph's, the only difference is this room has my dad lying lifeless amongst all the chaos.

His wrists are covered with thick bandages but blood if still visibly seeping through. Beside him are bags of blood, clearly being used in a desperate attempt to keep as much blood as possible in his body.

"They're taking him for emergancy surgery in a minute or two. They need to stop the bleeding."

I nod in response to Paul.

"Here, this was found in the bathroom with him." He hands me a piece of paper, clearly torn out of something with dads messy, capitalised handwriting on it. "I'll give you a minute. I'll be in the waiting area if you need me." He says and walks towards the door.

I finally find the courage to speak.

"Paul?" I wait for him to turn. "Soph woke up, like ten minutes ago but then went back sleep. Could you go be with her if you're not too busy? I don't want her to think I've just abandoned her, please."

"That's great news, of course." He nods and leaves me alone.

I walk over and take a seat besides dads bed and look down at the slip of paper that Paul gave me.

Girls,
I'll always be here for you, keeping watch, whether you see me or not.
I'll always love you, all four of you.
But I'm no good as a father, that much is clear to me.
I can't be with you and watch myself slowly destroy you.
I dont want you to be upset, lets face it, you won't be anyway after what I've done.
I feel like all I’m doing is hurting you with my messed up ways, you'll all tell me you still love me but I think your too afraid to say.
I want Ava to know what I did, whether she hates me for it or not, she should know I'm not this great hero that she thinks I am.
I love you all but it's my time to say goodbye.
Don't be sad.
Don't be scared.
I'll always be with you girls no matter what.

Dad.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and turn the sheet over, seeing a note on the other side. I see the name at the top says Soph and know it is not my place to read it but I can't help myself.

Soph,
I'm sorry.
I know I've fucked up, I have my whole life and it appears I'm too great coward to face it, must be in the blood with my dad and all.
I don't really know what to say other than, I'm sorry. I loved you, I still do, always will. Thank you for being so fucking good to me. I don't even know if you'll ever get to read this but if you do, just remember I'm truly sorry. You were everything I ever wanted.

If you pull through and get to read this, there's something you should know.
You probably won't want it after this, I don't blame you but I've kept it the past five years.
There's a ring in my office desk.
It's for you.
I was hoping I could marry you, I was gonna ask you the day you told me you were pregnant but I fucked up again.
I'd give you the ring myself but I obviously can't.
Anyway, I'd still like for you to have it.

I'll love you always Soph.

Marshmallow (I still fucking hate that nickname)

I chuckle and wipe another tear away.

Soph always called him Marshmallow when they were together, mostly because she knew it pissed him off.

I'm pulled from my thoughts as both James and Tanya walk into the room with a small group of nurses.

"We're gonna take him for surgery now Hailie. We'll let you know how he's doing after." James says and Tanya smiles at me as they wheel his bed out of the room.

I stare down at the page, the note for Soph. He was actually going to marry her? He hates the idea of marriage as far as I'm aware.

Everything could have been so good, they'd be married, have Ava, maybe even another baby but instead they're both in the ICU with Soph probably hating his guts.

I hear the door open and see Stevie and Alaina walk in, they've both clearly been crying.

"Ava's with Ev, Matt and Jace." Alaina says with a shakey voice. "Where's dad?"

"Surgery." I whisper as I stand and pull them both into a hug.

We hug, not letting go and crying together, just as we did those almost sixteen years ago when dad was in this very hospital.

He was fighting for his life then and the fight continues now...

A/N - can I just say, this book is honestly so fun to write.

Now that Soph's awake, how do we think she'll react to Marshall's confession about the ring when she gets to read the note?

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕