chapter 5

It wasn't that Yueting was particularly happy to see Meiyang, but this encounter hadn't broken her heart yet, so she felt a sense of familiarity

It wasn't that Yueting was particularly happy to see Meiyang, but this encounter hadn't broken her heart yet, so she felt a sense of familiarity. For now, she had to find out how to cure this disease. For her, it sounded like a simple sickness, but why was it always exactly three days, and what did the circle have to do with it?Walking down the hall with some others guiding her to one of the patients, she entered the room. In the room, there was Daiki sitting and a woman lying next to him. "We've brought the hero," Meiyang speaks. Seeing Meiyang being polite was something new to Yueting.

"I see you were no mere commoner after all," Daiki says."You two know each other?" Meiyang asks."You could say that," Daiki answers."The only difference between me and a commoner is the title 'hero'," Yueting says. Sitting down next to Daiki, Yueting takes a look at the woman."Where is the red circle?" Yueting asks. Slowly pulling up her shirt, Daiki reveals a big dark red circle on her stomach. Slowly touching the circle, Yueting tries to see if there's anything special about it."It's paint," she says. Touching it makes it lose color and blur."Paint??" Meiyang asks, getting closer to touch the circle as well."Bring me a wet towel," Yueting says. One of the maids gets a wet towel and gives it to Yueting. Using the towel, Yueting wipes away the red circle. How could this be? Isn't the circle the cause of the sickness? Yueting asks herself.

"What do you say?" Meiyang asks."How exactly did the other victims die? Were there any traces of poison or such?" Yueting asks."The king has forbidden anyone to test that," Meiyang says. Why would they forbid such a thing? Yueting thinks."May I see one of the corpses?" Yueting asks."There are none left," Meiyang says.Yueting's eyes widen. "None?" she says."None," Meiyang answers."I see," Yueting responds. There had to be something else behind this."Then let's leave for today," Yueting says. "Is there nothing you can do?" Daiki asks."I hardly doubt it," Yueting answers."Today is the third day," Daiki says.Giving another glance back, Yueting leaves the room with the others. Parting ways with Meiyang and the maids, Yueting walks to her room. The system still had the inbuilt navigation system, so it was no problem for her, even with the bad description provided.

Plopping down on her bed, she looks up at the ceiling, thinking. The only thing the red circle reminded her of was that in her world, houses used to get targeted by a big circle. The color of the circle had a meaning too, but each one of them meant the person was targeted to get killed, some even tortured.

⌞System message: Master, how is the mission going?⌝

"Pretty bad, if you're asking me," Yueting says.

⌞System message: In my opinion, it's going well.⌝

"Why is that?" she asks.

⌞System message: The circle is the most important thing about this so-called 'sickness,' and you've almost found out what it means.⌝

Is the system trying to tell me that I wasn't so wrong when thinking people with the circle are 'targets'? Yueting thinks. "How much longer till the 3-day mark is hit for the woman I saw earlier?" Yueting asks.