Chapter 8

Lana's POV

I make my way to join them both and Hailey gets up gingerly.

She hands me the flowers she gathered.

- For me? Are you sure?

She nods with a smile. I prefer not to look at Aaron, because he would see the emotion on my face. I haven't been given flowers since the funeral. And yet these flowers mean much more.

- They look pretty with your dress.

I smile and nod, incapable of speaking because my throat is completely shut with tears.

- Are you ok? Aaron asks, lowering his head to look at my face.

I clear my throat.

- Yeah.

Not convincing at all.

- Can I hug you? Hailey asks.

I just nod and her small body runs in my arms. I cry like a baby. Aaron gives an affectionate pat on Hailey's head while she's hugging me, like to tell her she's doing a good job.

- Aaron, you too, says Hailey with authority.

Aaron chuckles and takes us both in his arms, while we're hugging. His hand on the small of my waist feels like it belongs there. With his arms around me and Hailey head under my chin, I suddenly feel a huge relief and a sense of peace I haven't felt in months.

Aaron moves to look at my face.

- Is that ok?

I understand he means him hugging me. I'm impressed he asks. I nod shyly. He gives me a warm smile. Hailey starts to move and I free her from my arms.

- Thank you so much, I whisper.

- It's ok, she answers with a smile. I need a hug too sometimes. Now you owe me a hug when I feel sad too.

- Ok, that seems fair.

The little girl turns to her brother, whose eyes are still on me.

- Aaron?

- Yeah?

- I want a hot dog.

- Me too.

- Can I have one?

- Only if Lana comes with us and gets one too.

Hailey turns to me with wide eyes. 

- Lana you HAVE to come, hot dogs are amazing.

- Oh no, I couldn't possibly...

- Why nooooot? She pleads.

- Well, Aaron is my student... Would your teacher come eat hot dogs with you?

- Of course she would!

Aaron pats his sister's head again. And looks at me.

- You'd say yes automatically if it were any other student other than me. You'd say yes to hot dogs with Sophie. For the company.

- Probably. But you and I both know it's not the same thing.

He leans close to me and whispers:

- I'm behaving, aren't I?

Hailey, who started pouting, pleads one more time:

- Come on Lana pleaaaase. What if he promises not to speak?

- Uh? Aaron looks at her, surprised.

- Well.. You're the reason she doesn't wanna come, soooo maybe we can make a deal? She says with innocent eyes.

- I'll come if he can't speak, I say, laughing.

- YES. Hot dooogs.