CHAPTER 10 (Dorian)

To ensure the evening revolved around conversation and not just cooking, Dorian started grilling the steaks and the new potatoes early before Avery arrived at seven. He had explained it all in a text message, telling her what was on the menu and telling her to come prepared to eat, talk, and relax. He hoped to get to know her better, see what made her tick — besides the hunt for the next story, and those peanut M&M's she liked to hide in her purse.

As the New York strips sizzled on the grill, the thought of her at the diner the other day tucking the M&M's away like he had stumbled upon one of her guilty pleasures caused the corners of his mouth to curl up. It also brought warmth to his cheeks that led to other thoughts about her, like the pendant and the story of how she survived her car crash three months ago. Of course, the topaz and silver chain looked perfect against her fair skin, like a breath of fresh air in a grassy meadow. And if someone forced him to admit the truth, he hoped she wore it tonight. For more than one reason.

He wanted to take the evening off from talking about the killings; they would have plenty of time for that, provided the wolf didn't show up at his back door and start prowling around.

The steaks were almost done, cooked to order... medium for them both. Dorian wore jeans and a maroon T-shirt, standing on his back patio in bare feet as he flipped the ten-ounce cuts one more time. The heat from the grill radiated up into his face, and he slinked away, trying to avoid breaking a sweat, especially after showering and splashing on cologne. He had allowed thoughts of Avery to distract him, something he didn't allow to happen with women in his past, except for Vespa, before she lost control of the beast inside her.

The steak juice had gotten too hot and popped up at him, splattering his shirt.

The heat flared up in his face, but worse than that, seeing the stain on his shirt let him know it was time to get the steaks off the grill and wrap up the cooking. He touched his phone and noted the time: ten till seven. Avery would arrive at any moment.

With the spatula, he lifted the strips and put them on a metal cooking sheet along with the potatoes to take to the kitchen. He already had the oven on three hundred to keep the food warm until ready to serve. With everything tucked away, his gaze wandered back to his shirt and the juicy stain across the front. He couldn't believe he'd been stupid enough to cook in what he planned to wear. He tapped his phone screen to get an update on the time, which was now on the island bar. Five minutes till.

His front door stood open, but the glass screen remained closed. In a hurry, Dorian raised his shirt and pulled it over his shoulders and off. As soon as his hands lowered to his waist, he glanced up to see Avery standing at the front door with her mouth agape, staring at his chest, her eyes taking in his bared form.

He didn't raise the shirt in front of him since it would provide little cover, anyway. "Be right there. I have to change. I didn't know you had driven up yet."

His timing with removing his shirt had been terrible—or perfect—but he hadn't done it on purpose. Regardless, he made his way to his bedroom to change. He returned a minute later wearing a tight-fit black T-shirt.

At the door, he let Avery in and explained about the splattering grill. "Sorry about that. I hope you're hungry?"

"Starving." She grinned as she cast her gaze around the rustic cabin, her eyes combing over the plush couch and the fireplace opposite of the kitchen.

"Me too." Dorian removed the steaks and new potatoes from the oven and transferred them from the metal sheet to the plates.

He had a dining room table, but he wanted tonight to be more personal, so he took their food and silverware to the bar, which had an open view of the living room and the fireplace. He had already placed a few logs in the hearth and only needed to light the kindling sticks that were easy to ignite with a lighter. In a few seconds, the flames flickered to life, and soon after that, the fire had engulfed the logs, bringing warmth to the room.