CHAPTER 4 (Avery)

Moonlight fell over the upper terrace of the Italian restaurant, The Vineyard, as Avery shut the SUV door and glimpsed Dorian as he exited his Jeep Gladiator. She felt the celestial body tugging on invisible strings just beneath her skin, that of attraction for some parts of her, and for others, an unnerving fear of the unnatural aspects of their investigation. How deep those tendrils reached, she didn't know, but she would offset the trembling quivers both those things brought her with the next article. Every story she wrote made her feel a sense of accomplishment, like she was righting the wrongs in the world. That's what she needed to focus on tonight. Her story. Not the tall, dark, and mysterious man who had come from nowhere.

As she stared at Dorian from afar — he had yet to notice her — she sensed the two powers he had mentioned at the diner earlier in the day, like they raged inside him, one trying to out influence the other. She felt it in the two extremes of his personality: the mysterious glares and the live-wire moments of anxiety he seemed to battle against to keep under control.

He adjusted the cuffs of his royal blue dress shirt, top button undone, tucked into black slacks and shoes, a sterling silver ring catching a glint of light from above. From this perspective, his broad shoulders angled down to a slim torso and waistline, which she suspected, based on the rest of his stature, harbored a hardened pack of abs. If any part of a man's body were her weakness, a rippled core was it, but she wasn't superficial. It would take more than stomach muscles to get and keep her attention, although it wasn't an awful place to start. Again, she had to focus on who he was as a person more than his appearance. That mattered more. Of course, his gray eyes and dark hair didn't make things any easier. But Avery could compartmentalize. She did it every day when she hammered home a story. She would have to do that now with Mr. Dorian Steele.

As he caught sight of Avery's approach, his mysterious side seemed to take over as she offered him a faint smile and timid eyes, hopefully to break the ice.

"You picked a nice place to discuss our investigation." She took in the pale stones making up the establishment's exterior. "Every time I come here, it feels like we're in Italy."

"I think that's the point." Dorian's eyes swept over her with a welcoming smile. He appeared ridged and in control, but she noticed a tiny break in his armor as his top teeth scraped over his bottom lip. "You dressed for the occasion."

Avery lowered her arms and motioned over her wardrobe. "This ole sundress. It's nothing. I'm just glad it warmed up enough this spring to wear it."

"You look nice." The comment seemed forced, like he was trying to keep an even keel, wanting to compliment her while not going overboard. "Are you hungry?"

She was keen on how he changed the subject, probably to maintain his mysterious edge. "I am," she replied. "I hardly ate anything for lunch."

"Same here." He gestured the way toward the front entrance and a pair of dark stained doors. "We should get inside then, see if our table is ready."

She agreed and stepped toward him, but her toe snagged on a crack in the concrete. It had risen enough to make the surface uneven. She stumbled into his arms and couldn't help but collide in to his chest, which kept her from falling, holding her up with a firm gentleness she should have expected. His chin dropped and slanted toward her, gray eyes absorbing her sudden shyness at such a proximity. She felt the heat of his presence looming over her, but it also seemed to invite her and bid her to stay, as if his embrace could wrap around her and protect her like a shield.

His mouth didn't move, but his eyes combed over her, seeming to savor the moment.

Avery's breath hitched in her throat, and she swallowed. "Sorry. Guess I'm a klutz tonight."