Chapter 10

TW: There are some sexual themes in this chapter, though not explicitly. Viewers discretion is advised.

Bells chimed, echoing through a labyrinth of empty space.

Two sets of heels clicked against hardwood flooring and the sudden stench of stale bread crumbs, dust and parchment pierced Evie's nose.

Mr Borgin looked up from his desk, eyes fluttering above his thinly framed glasses. "Good morning, Mrs Malfoy." His eyes shifted to Evie, but said nothing. It wasn't hard for her to notice his sudden hard expression.

"Good morrow," Narcissa replied. "I assume my delivery has finally arrived?"

He nodded behind them and said, "Delivered this morning."

"Wonderful." She turned to Evie. "Come on."

Evie couldn't remember Borgin and Burkes in great detail, though many corners and stacked shelves gave her an odd sense of de ja vu.

Assuming most of the artefacts here were infused with magic, history or supernatural intent, Evie kept her hands glued to her sides and never distanced herself from Narcissa more than seven feet.

She still couldn't take out the image of Draco outmanoeuvring death the same way the three brothers did years and years ago. The way his body trembled from fear and indifference combined, her utter helplessness and inability to comprehend the amount of turmoil Draco must've undergone simply to win a war against the terrorists.

No bloody wonder why he was so cold to everyone.

That night she couldn't sleep no matter how many bars of chocolate she stuffed in her mouth. Not even the extra sugary kind from Draco's pantry.

Several cups of chamomile tea, his favourite blueberry flavoured sugar quills or rum-filled truffles – her mind wouldn't stop racing. Later that day, she'd write a letter to Eveline and Colin or whatever the healer's name was.

In the corner of a room, a medium-sized chest sat atop an ancient table, direct sunlight beaming onto its intricately sealed seems.

Narcissa let out a long sigh. From her reaction alone, Evie assumed whatever was inside, held significant value.

"What is it?" Evie found herself asking, walking up to her side.

Without an answer, Narcissa took out her wand and unlocked the padlocks and secure charms before pulling out perhaps the most hideous looking thing Evie had ever seen.

She forced her lips closed, though the judgement crinkled her face inward causing Narcissa to chuckle.

"This belonged to an ascendant of mine. Alexia Black," Narcissa said, holding the thing delicately.

"Phoebe's sister," Evie answered. She remembered the portrait of the family tree on one of the walls in the library. Spitting image of Phoebe had she not lived on a diet of lard and roasted potatoes. "I've not seen her ghost in the manor and Phoebe doesn't talk about her that much either."

Narcissa hummed, shaking her head. "She's not one to show her presence. Living in her sisters shadow for all eternity left her incredibly self conscious. Perhaps the only thing that could calm her down other than magic and kidney pie was this."

A rag doll, Evie would've put it bluntly. Or a malnourished rabbit. Its body lost half of its stuffing and the crazy buttons sewn in its eyes certainly adorned it the cursed appearance. So much that Evie found it hard to look in its eyes for the fear of it haunting her around the hallways at night.

For a thing nearly a century old, it was surprising to see it in tact. Even if it was holding on to threads.

Narcissa placed the corpse-like rabbit back in its box and gestured around the room. "Look around, see what interests you and we can bring it home."