Chapter 3

Even in the brink of daylight, the manor's sharp architecture appeared like a nightmare brought to life.

Evie studied each crevice carefully as Narcissa pushed her wheelchair through the entrance and past the metal gates.

With an ashen grey blush, the building glared its eyes at her, studying back. Infinite pillars circled around like a shield, and its boxed windows, sealed by laced curtains, gave it a calculated, wizard model.

Sculpted serpents guarded the front doors, made of ancient stone. A large dragon's head at the precipice. Bush-trimmed oxens seemed to move alongside her, yet when Evie blinked, their heads magically turned facing the sky.

Given the amount of nature and beautiful greenery, the lack of fauna was unsettling.

It wasn't quite like the muggle homes with pointed arches and flying buttresses. A chimney that roasted buckets of wood or a steaming pumpkin scent staining the atmosphere from meters away.

Not even an obnoxiously large doormat that screamed welcome.

Nevertheless, it was a beauty on its own.

She just needed to familiarise herself. That was all. A small dose of exposure therapy.

Inside, the manor doubled in size. With stairs wide enough to fit two cows and a white marble floor the reflected the lights of crystalized chandeliers, Evie gawked.

Eyes wide, a smile just as big.

For a place so creepy, it was quite — cozy. Comfortable.

Two ghosts floated across the hallway. One with a beard reaching his ankles and fingers like talons, the other wore a top hat and stand of old parchment and dust.

"Can you believe they wrote about this?" the one with the beard snarled. "Anyone loyal to the lord who'd taken non-magical company should be as equally punished!"

The other one simply nodded, floating slower before gesturing a welcome with his hat at Evie and Narcissa. "Welcome back, Mrs Malfoy. Miss Carpathia."

"Good morning, Septimus," Narcissa responded as they floated away.

Evie raised her brows. She held out a hand as Narcissa opened her mouth to speak. "Septimus Malfoy..."

She dug deep inside her head.

Who was he?

She'd heard the name before. Had quite the significant influence on the ministry, surely. It was right there, in a book she read. Or a podcast she heard from on the Sunday radio, channel seven, the magical history of wonders.

Then it clicked. Evie snapped her finger, excitedly turning to Narcissa.

"Septimus Malfoy, born in 1772." A pause. "Or 1771, I can't remember... But he became an adviser to Unctuous Osbert in 1800, quite an influential one as well. He was the one who pardoned Sebastian Sallow for killing his uncle, wasn't he? Passed away two years later from old age."

Narcissa blinked, unable to move. "I've really missed you, Evie."

Evie blushed.

"Anything else you remember?" Narcissa arched her brow.

Evie's cheeks brightened as her head dipped. "He also had a pet thunderbird called Sparky."

A warm laugh, Narcissa called for Tiskey.

Within a second, a young, brutish elf poked its head out from the hallway. Its ears were drawn back and a shy smile painted its cheeks. "H-Hello."

"Tiskey, did you bring it?" Narcissa asked.