Chapter 20: Desmond

Staring out the window at the square where the festival had been set up, I see that it's completely empty now, with all the lights having been turned off. Only one light is on in my office. My thoughts mull over and over again how it all happened.

Davina's screams, the terror I felt when I saw the man who was threatening her, the way he grabbed her chin and threatened to hurt her. I can still see the terror in Davina's eyes and hear her sobs. The blood that was trailing down her cheek. My heart twists at how scared she was.

Those men worked for Samael and were people in my kingdom. I had convinced Davina that she would be safe here. Promised that she would be safe. Only for Samael to send some goons after her in another attempt to hurt me. And her. I can't stomach what those men would have done to her if I hadn't gotten there.

Shaking my head, another thought comes to me. Davina's backstory. She has been alone almost her entire life. Jumping from one home to the next, without anyone ever taking a moment to get to know her. Or maybe some just couldn't take care of her. Whatever the case, she was practically alone for most of her life, feeling unloved and unwanted.

It makes me wonder why she would want to go back to Earth if there isn't anyone there for her. Maybe she feels as though she has to. Or maybe she feels like she doesn't belong here.

I shake my head. Why should it matter? Earth is her home. It's the only place she's ever known. Why would she want to stay in a world she knows nothing about? With people that seek to kidnap or kill her?

Hearing my office door open, I turn and see Hazel walk in, rubbing her eye. Her hair is slightly messy.

"What are you doing up?" I ask as she walks over.

"I could ask you the same thing," she says, voice sleepy. "I saw your light. Everything good?"

I sigh.

"Yeah," I say as she comes up next to me. "Tonight, has just been a lot."

She nods in understanding.

"Just think though, you managed to save Davina," she says.

"But I told her she would be safe here," I say and sigh.

"You protected her though," she reminds me once again. "She's safe so long as you're there."

"I just wish she didn't have to be in danger," I say and turn, staring out the window. "That Samael was no longer around to hurt her or anybody else."

She places a hand on my arm.

"We all wish for that," she says. "And we will defeat him. One of these days he will be defeated once and for all. But you don't have to do it alone."

I turn to her, and she gives me an encouraging smile. I smile and wrap my arm around her shoulder. I hug her and she hugs me back.

We stare out the window for a moment and my thoughts turn back to Davina's backstory.

"What else is on your mind?" Hazel asks and I look down at her. "You have that look on your face that says that you have something on your mind."

I shake my head.

"Davina told me about her childhood," I say and stare out the window again. "And, needless to say, it was very lonely and heartbreaking to hear."

"Did her parents die?" she asks. I shake my head.

"They gave her and her brother up," I say.

"She has a brother?" she asks.

"Apparently so," I say. "She had one anyway. He went missing some years ago. And then she was given up once again."

"Well, I guess tragic backstories is something you two can bond over," she says, and I give a wry smile.

"The thing is though, she didn't have anyone," I say. "I always had you guys. You guys have always stood by my side when I needed you most and we fought together to take Samael down. You guys are my family. Davina doesn't have any family. She was basically told she was unwanted and pawned off on someone else. And then, she was shoved from one home to the next. That has to take its toll on someone. Making them feel unloved and unwanted."

Hazel becomes thoughtful, staring out the window.

"It makes you wonder why she wants to go back to Earth then," she says. "If there's nobody there for her, why go back?"

"Well, there she probably wasn't being hunted down by some power hungry maniac," I say. "And two, Earth is her home. It's the only place she's ever known. Why should she stay in a place she knows nothing about nor is used to being in?"

She nods in agreement.

"Perhaps she just needs to get to know this world fully," Hazel says. "She's been stuck up in this castle for over a month now, only going out tonight."

"Which is why I would like for you to take her into the village tomorrow and show her around," I say. "She could use a break for a couple days and I think the village would be a nice place for her to relax in."

"Are you sure it will be safe?" she asks. "Given that she was almost kidnapped tonight."

"So long as you two stick together and keep your personal guards close, you two should be fine," I say. She nods and her eyes light up.

"I know of the perfect places to show her," she says and I smile. She yawns and my smile softens.

"You should head off to bed," I say and hug her.

She grins.

"You two, you big oaf," she says, and I purse my lips. I squeeze her and I mess up her hair. She laughs and I chuckle. Smoothing out her hair, she hugs me. Hugging her one more time, I let her go and she turns, heading towards the door.

"Make sure you get some sleep," she says and grins. "You'll need your strength if you hope to save more damsels tomorrow."
I roll my eyes and shake my head, grinning.

"To bed you little imp," I say, and she laughs. She opens the door and walks out, closing the door behind her. Smiling, I walk around my desk and turn off the light. She's right. I need to head off to bed. I have to do more work tomorrow. And I need to interrogate our prisoner.