Broken Hearted

The next day is hell. Excuse my language, but there's no other word for it. I got home without another word for me no matter how hard Holly tried to talk to me. I was afraid if I opened my mouth I'd break. I had to plaster a fake smile on face and tell my parents I had a great time. I told my dad I had a lot of homework so I'd skip dinner since that whole ordeal had killed my appetite. He nodded but made me eat a snack. The whole time I felt as if I would explode from all the tears building up inside me.

Finally, when my bedroom door clicked shut behind me, I collapsed onto my bed and sobbed into my pillow for hours on end. Eventually my grief turned to anger and I went through all of my things and removed anything and everything Artemis Fowl related. My heart ached. I ripped my cartoon of me and him with me labeled Emerald Fowl to shreds and burnt the pieces in my midnight jasmine scented candle.

After that, I cried myself to sleep.

Good morning, Sunshine.

I stare at my face in the mirror, appalled by what I see, but not enough to care. My hair is tangled and frizzy and my eyes look haunted and red with dark bags underneath them. My face is pale as well as covered with red splotches. I throw on a T-shirt, some jeans and my Converse, not bothering to tie the laces. I don't make an effort to clean up my appearance. I'm just beyond the point of caring.

Laurie tries to mess with me and I ignore him, giving him the finger as I stare vacantly out the window. The morning is a blur. Everything reminds me of Artemis. Everything makes my heart hurt. Between classes, I sit in the bathroom stall and cry out all the tears that build up. I'm sure I'm hideous. I've gotten a lot of worried looks today. They're all wondering who did this to the voted 'Happiest Person' of the grade.

Now I'm dragging my sorry butt to lunch.

I plop down and glare at the table like it was the one who broke my heart.

"Okay, Swoosie, what's up?" Callie says.

I shake my head.

"Fine. I guess Gwen will have to get it outta ya'."

I stare silently at my uneaten lunch until we're dismissed. Callie drags me to Gwen. I sag against the tree and let the tears flow.

Callie sits beside me, "Let it out, bruh. I'm here for ya'."

It all comes out. The torture, the truth, the fight. Callie listens intently.

When I'm done she says, "What if Sabriel was manipulating you? What if Artemis does care about you?"

"But what he said all adds up!" I protest.

"Because he wanted it, too. Emerald, look beyond your emotions and use your common sense. Sabriel was just trying to tear you guys apart. You, of all people, should know that villains always try to tear the couples apart when their world domination fails. If this was a book and this happened, who would you believe, the villain or your boyfriend?"

"Well, it's not that easy if your boyfriend was a villain once."

"Em, how many books are there in the series?"

"Eight."

"And in how many was he the villain?"

"One...well, technically---"

She shakes her head, "No. One. He's been the hero seven times, at least. Even if his distant past says otherwise, trust him, because according to his recent past, he's the guy to trust. Em, listen to me. You'd see it if your emotions weren't clouding your view. Sabriel tricked you. Artemis loves you."

"But---"

Her expressions softens, "Now, bruh, I don't know much about relationships but I suggest you get together and have a civilized conversation. Listen to what he has to say instead of jumping to conclusions. Seriously. Or disregard all I've told you. I can't stand you so ruined, bruh. And saw the way you looked at each other. I don't think he could fake that."

Before I can respond, the whistle blows and we head our separate ways.

Callie waves to me as we part, "Just think about it, Swoosie."