Chapter 6: The Assassin and the Devil

"Issei, I don't know what you were assuming but... I don't really have any money. I only have the two coins I was given today," Satella replied, looking awkward.

"I have money. I should have enough to put down a serious bid. I hope," Issei said.

Well, again, we have no idea what a gold coin is worth, let alone thirty-six of them. What can it buy you? Can it buy a nice meal? A herd of cattle? A small townhouse? I'd ask Satella, but I get the impression she doesn't know much about money either.

Satella glanced away, looking uncomfortable. "I can't let you do that for me," She murmured.

"You'll let me do that for you because you have to," Issei replied. "It's the only way that we'll get your trinket back. If being in debt makes you uncomfortable, then remember why I am doing this, we need shelter and a possible stable income, and we figure out how to balance the scales later on. But right now, we need to get your treasure back," He said.

Satella just gave a small smile and nodded
They approached the location that the merchant had referred. There was a large building with a strange sloping roof that had a variety of small holes in it.

OK, that looks like it could be a tavern: a condemned, abandoned tavern but a tavern none the less.

"Satella, one more thing: When we go in, always assuming that this place isn't just an abandoned building and I got cheated out of a gold coin," Issei mused. "I want you to keep your hood down so no one can recognize you and also stay close with Ophis and Subaru. Let me do all the talking. Also," Issei paused awkwardly. "I'm going to be lying constantly, so please try not to react to my bullshit."

Issei thought Satella might object, but she simply nodded and pulled the hood down so all that could be seen was her mouth.

Alright, here goes nothing. Issei bounded up the stairs and pounded on the massive door.

He heard heavy footsteps approaching from inside.

"What's the password?" A gruff voice asked.

Password? Great. Issei sighed. The merchant didn't mention a password!

Oh well, brazen it out. "I've got money!" Issei yelled.

The door slowly opened, and a simply enormous man with brown skin and gray hair peaked out suspiciously. "That's not the password," He growl.

"Really?" Issei asked. "It always opens doors where I come from."

"Yeah, real cute," the old man snorted, but Issei saw a slight smile on his face. "What do you want?"

"We're looking to make a purchase of a valuable item, and someone suggested that a fellow named Rom was exactly the person we should talk to about that," Issei explained.

The old man stepped out onto his front porch. He had to be nine feet tall, at least. "And just what exactly are you looking for?"

"I assume you're Rom, then?" Issei asked. The merchant had said Rom was a giant, and he hadn't been exaggerating.

The old man didn't respond.

"Nice to meet you. It's a private matter and perhaps one best not discussed on the doorstep," Issei said cheerfully. "Could we persuade you to pour us a drink while we talk?"

The old man considered it for a moment and then turned around. "Fine," He grumbled, leading them inside.

Wow. I expected that getting in here would be a lot more difficult. Then again, if I was Rom's size, I guess I wouldn't worry much about letting people in either.