The meaning of knowing

—4—

The door creaked open as i entered the house, the lights are dim and i don't hear the television blasting a soccer game so i assume that my dad is at work,  i walk through the large living room and rush to the staircase to head to my room, trying my best to not be seen by mom. I barely could even touch the first step when I heard my mothers scratchy voice echoing from the kitchen, "Zed? Sweetie is that you?" I groan as I watch her head pop out of the kitchen's door frame.

"Hey mom" I said softly while adjusting my backpack strap that was stabbing into my shoulder. She flashes a small smile before moving a blond strand of hair out of her face, "Come in the kitchen, let's have a chat hun" she rushed as she walked back into the kitchen, i sigh as i drop my bag on the step and sliding off my shoes and placing them neatly next to my bag before taking a deep breath and entering the kitchen.
There's a sweet scent filling the air when I sit at the counter,  as my mom takes out the cupcake tray from the oven and places it on the marble counter. "What's that for?" I gestured to the steaming cupcakes. "My boss is holding a party for all her employees and I wanted to be nice and make them some treats" she opened the fridge, took out a white bowl of frosting and sat it next to the cakes.

I just hum as I look at what she made. I find it interesting that she would use effort and time to make these for her boss even though when i was in elementary school i asked her to make something for my class when we had a party, she wouldn't even bother lifting a finger.

"How was your day?" she asked, glancing up at me as she icing the cupcakes, I sat there for a moment trying to rethink the events of the day, even though I didn't know why I should even tell her since deep down I know she won't even listen.

"It was okay, actually i met someone today and he seems-"

"That's great honey" I frown as she interrupts me and then starts to play with my fingers. "Uh yeah... and he walked me-" I got interrupted again. "So your coach called today" I stared at her in disbelief, why ask me how my day is when you're not even going to listen.
"Oh, what did he say?" I mumbled as I picked at the cupcake that my mom placed in front of me to have, knowing full well why he called, to tattle on me for 'goofing off'.
"Well, he informed me that you and that friend of yours-"
"Cyrus,'' I reminded her, "yeah him, well Randell said you two were goofing off" she said with this disappointed tone. I didn't respond, not knowing what to say. Am I supposed to say I am sorry that I was trying to have at least a bit of fun? But if i did say that i wouldn't get away with it without a scolding. "I have told you many times that this Cyrus boy is no good for you. Bad influence" she raged as she shook her head. "Does his parents get after him for playing around at practice?" Before I could even respond she responded for me. "Obviously not".
The thing is, Cyrus' parents do get after him for it but not in the way my mom would like, they just tell him to focus since he wants to do the sport, unlike my parents who yell at me even if I even dare to kick the ball wrong.
"I don't know mom" she rolls her eyes with a sigh. "Well you better not do this again zed, you understand? Soccer is important to us, you know this right?"

'Us',  yeah right, you mean you.

I just nod.  She looks at me before covering the cupcakes with some tin foil and placing them on the black cake display. "Are you going to finish your cupcake? I worked very hard on those you know" she stated. I poke at it one last time before sliding off the kitchen stool. "I am not really hungry at the moment....i have some homework to finish"

I grab the cupcake and place it in the fridge to save it for later. "Oh homework, you better get that done then" she said plainly and before giving me a quick kiss on the forehead and taking off her pink apron and placing it on the stove handle soon disappearing into the living room.
I then take my leave, grabbing my bag and shoes before going upstairs to my room, the only room in this house that doesn't look like it came straight out of a magazine. I toss my stuff to a random spot in my room before climbing on my bed letting my face be suffocated by a pillow, i let out a tried sigh before turning on my back and staring at my white ceiling,