The meaning of gossip

—2—

I shoved my soccer stuff into my duffle bag, rushing to school since I had woken up late, which means I am late to soccer morning practice and as the captain, I really should not be the one late.
I finally got to the locker rooms and quickly put on shorts and a basic white T-shirt.
I quickly put on my celts and rush to the field where I see everyone doing drills with the vice captain, Cyrus, coaching them.

"Nice enough of you to show up." Coach Randall said with a tired voice as he gave me a nasty look of disapproval. I apologize softly as I walk over to Cyrus to start our warm ups for the morning, he begins kicking the soccer ball back and forth to each other.

"You look dead today...well more than usual" Cyrus said as he brought his foot up and kicked the ball to me with a powerful force.

"Yeah...i stayed up late studying for the midterm and i didnt go to bed until like 3 am"

"Well damn dude, I can't really tell you to go to sleep at a better time when I don't even do that, but you seriously look like you died about seven times" said the white haired male as he continues with the passing.

I laugh softly before kicking the ball to him. "Who says I am not dead right now?" I declared before I put my arms up slightly in front of me and walked like a zombie, making what I think zombie noises sounded like.

Cyrus looks at me with a dumbfounded look with his mouth slightly open. "Zed- no stop!-" he stopped to let out a laugh before continuing "you look so dumb right now! Pfft-" I didn't listen to him and continued playing around, somewhat enjoying this moment for a minute before I was disrupted by an angry coach.

"Zed and Cyrus, stop playing around, this isn't a playground, it's practice! But since you wanted to act like five year olds...two laps around the school, now!" The couch growled before walking back to his camp chair and sat back in it.

I sigh before I start to do the said laps with Cyrus complaining besides me about anything he could find to complain about.

"Ugh that bastard.." he mumbled with an annoyed expression as he kept running with me as our punishment. "You better be quiet, you don't want the coach to hear you and make you do even more laps." Cyrus groaned since he knew I was right but we both knew he didn't give a shit about any of that.

"Who cares! He is an asshole and won't let kids be kids, if we want to embarrass ourselves we can!" I shrug my shoulders as he continues with his rant "And besides, I heard that his girlfriend of 3 years dumped his ass since he was a bum, so he can shut up before i show him that I am not no five year old" he said with a proud look on his face.

I stare at him with an alarmed look on my face not knowing how, or why, he knew this. "Cyrus... what the hell-? How do you even know this?" I stammered to Cyrus who was running like he was supposed to do while still wearing the prideful face.

"I have my ways Z, I know more than you think.... for example I heard that this one kid I think their name is uhm, Hannah Smith? Well I heard that she got a ticket for driving home drunk last night."

I sigh after what he said not knowing if any of this is true, of course I hope it isn't true, and Cyrus really shouldn't be talking about others personal lifes like this, but, that's Cyrus for you, I guess, but he is a nice person really! And a good friend it's just, he is the one to know everything about a person, so gossip is his favorite subject.

"It's just gossip" I sighed softly, Cyrus looked at me for a second like he was thinking about what I said then he blurted out "Well how is it gossip if it's true?" That's all he said before running away from me to finish his other lap.