C H A P T E R 12

"Out of the Picture?"

"Zen!" Clayden called for Zenji across the playground. It made me quite surprised to see how Clayden called him because I know that in Japan, it is inappropriate to call them by their first name when the two of you aren't close, at least that was my understanding when I was watching documentaries in Japan, ever since I met Zenji out of pure curiosity. Zenji looked in our direction with an irked look on his face, before returning his attention to what he was doing. Clayden flinched at his gaze and fumed in anger seeing how he looked away and ignored him.

I went straight to him, wondering what caught his attention to the point that, he ignored me and Clayden. Well, I can understand why he ignored Clayden. I knelt beside him, looked at what he was doing, and saw that he was staring at the kitten inside the bushes beside the swing. He seemed like he wanted to touch the kitten, so I took it from the ground and carried it in my arms slightly hinting that he could touch it. The kitten's soft fur brushed against my skin, and it looked like it was comfortable in my arms. This kitten was vulnerable and innocent, I find it adorable. 'It's just like...me.'

Zenji was still hesitating to touch it, because the kitten seemed conscious of his hand going near its head. I let out a chuckle and made the kitten come even closer to Zenji's hand. As soon as Zenji touched the kitten his expression brightened staring at it, gently patting the kitten.

I noticed him slightly tearing up. Zenji has always been like this ever since we've met. Still, it was unusual for him to tear up without a reason. I tilted my head out of confusion staring at him, waiting for him to speak and tell me what was wrong. "This time-" I heard him mutter as he trembled trying to hold back his tears, gritting his teeth.

"I wanna stay here and protect the people that are important to me, without failing this time..." He wailed. My curiosity was never answered that day. Come to think of it, Zenji has also changed ever since that day. It's only because of that, right? Once the sun set, the three of us would always walk home but I don't remember what he may have done to the kitten, I only remember him taking it home with him.

"Raven?" Zenji called out my name in a loud voice, causing me to widen my eyes before I could even look at him out of shock at his voice. "Something wrong?" He asked me as I noticed the gentle look with a worried expression on his face. I couldn't help but smile at him, just remembering how he looked at me and Clayden with those gentle eyes every time when we were little. Zenji looked confused, I just shook my head answering his question.

"I was thinking that you should cook us dinner this time around." I told him. He stopped in his tracks, narrowing his eyes at me as I chuckled and continued walking.  He didn't actually refuse the idea, so I guess he doesn't mind. Still, the way he looked at me in disbelief was quite a sight.

"I already told Dad, that I'll be staying over for dinner in your place." Zenji told me while looking through his phone, must be texting with his Dad. 'Can't believe he took that seriously, I guess he couldn't really read me that much.' I thought as I smiled while walking beside him.

On our way home, I noticed Royce sitting in front of the fountain at a nearby park with baby Kiel in a stroller. He looked so immersed in his sketchbook that I thought that calling for him wouldn't even catch his attention, he seemed to be....enjoying whatever he was doing. 'I used to be like that, at least... I used to be.' I thought as I stared at him from afar.

"Rae." I heard Zenji call out my name, making me look in his direction. I then noticed that I had stopped in my tracks as soon as I saw Royce, I guess... 'I stared too much.' I thought as I walked towards Zenji who was standing right in front of our house.