Chapter 6 - Connections & Conversations

The maths class was just as dull and uninspiring as she had anticipated. As Aislinn diligently wrote down algorithms and theorems, she struggled to keep her mind focused and alert. But the teacher's drone kept lulling her to sleep, only to be nudged back awake as Ellie elbowed her a little too hard. Her face twisted in discomfort, and a scowl formed on her lips. Fearful of her friend's reaction, Ellie mouthed an apology with wide eyes. The class seemed to stretch on indefinitely, the minutes ticking by at an agonisingly slow pace.

The lunch bell rang, and students jumped from their seats, queuing for their impending escape. One by one, they shuffled out of the door. As Aislinn approached the exit, Tessa manoeuvred around her, pushing her to the side, causing her to drop her notebook and pen.

"Move it, Ghost girl," she said harshly.

Aislinn bent to pick up her belongings at the same time as Ben. He grabbed the biro, passing it to her as he leaned in.

"Want me to say something?" he offered, but she shook her head.

Ben stood, holding out an outstretched arm for her. She grabbed onto it, and he pulled her to his side. Aislinn's pulse raced, wondering what Tessa had heard to call her that name. She wasn't embarrassed by her talents, not really. But using it against her like that annoyed her. And then there was Ben, ready and willing to come to her aid. That, she would gladly enjoy any time of day. Even if it meant putting up with Tessa's incessant jabs.

Ben latched onto Aislinn's hand, leading her to safety in their usual spot. Something was different about him today, she thought, as she watched him. Ellie was off elsewhere, occupied with a teacher meeting, or something, so it was just the two of them today. He fixed his gaze on her, and reached for her hand.

"Are you alright, Ais?"

"Yeah, I'm a big girl," she said with a feigned smile.

He wasn't entirely convinced, but he didn't want to push her any further. Ben ruffled through his lunch box, and passed something small and yellow to her.

"This might cheer you up," he grinned.

Aislinn stared at the little packet in her hand - a Caramello Koala, her favourite. A large smile spread across her face. She'd told him that little piece of information a while ago now, the simple fact reassuring her suspicions a little more. She leaned over towards him, planting a kiss on his cheek, then sat back to admire the blush setting in.

Back at the mansion, Audrey, and Jake continued the first floor. The plumber had confirmed the figures for the main room ensuite, so it was just a matter of wallpapering and painting for the bedrooms, and the sitting room on that level now. They'd been working relentlessly, making fast work of it all while the contractors had done the plumbing and electrical. Soon, they would finish and head up to the second floor to complete the project.

While they kept the wooden panelling and wainscotting original in the hallways, they'd chosen to paint it in the bedrooms for a cosier feel. While both Aislinn's and Audrey's permanent bedrooms were on this floor and were being decorated according to each of their tastes, the guest bedrooms were slightly different. The intention was to be historically elegant with a modern twist. Audrey recalled the many times she and Aislinn butted heads in dispute about their vision for the place, ever grateful they finally came to a cohesive design, thanks to Phil and his hardware store.

Side by side, they spread the paste onto the wallpaper. Jake climbed the ladder, reaching to the very top of the wall, then smoothed it down. They worked in tandem, room after room, pulling it all together.

A melody played from the windowsill, where Audrey's phone rested. She wiped her hands on a cloth, then picked it up.

"Hello?" she greeted.

"Audrey?" the voice said on the other end of the call.

"This is she," she replied curiously.

There was a sigh of relief. "It's Mum."

She glared over at Jake, who studied her attentively as she mouthed the word 'Mum'. He gave her two thumbs up, trying to encouraged her, before climbing back down the ladder.

"Oh, hey Mum. Thank you for calling me back," she said, trying to be casual. But her heart pounded in her chest, as if it might jump out entirely.

"It was such a nice surprise to get your message," she said in a gentle voice.

Audrey was speechless. She knew why she wanted to contact them, but she hadn't thought about the words she would use when they finally talked.

"I'm not quite sure where to start," Audrey replied, with a half-hearted chuckle.

"Well," her mother began, softly. "I assume since you're getting married that you finally saw fit to free yourself from that horrid man. There's no need to waste time talking about him, though. I want to hear all about my grandbaby and your new beau."

She could hear the smile in her voice as she listened. It was a relief not having to explain about her marriage falling to pieces, or the reasons behind it. "Aislinn," Audrey said, "Her name is Aislinn."

"What a beautiful name," she chimed.

"You will love her, Mum. I'm so sorry you missed so many years, though. She just turned sixteen in January." It pained Audrey, knowing that her mother had missed more than a decade of her only grandchild's life, and she also knew it was up to her to make amends. Aislinn deserved to know her grandparents, and they her.

"I know we both will. Did you also say you moved away from the city?"

Audrey explained how she and Aislinn had visited Lakeview Hollow, how she had met Jake and his Aunt Maggie, and how they'd come to find the mansion, abandoned in the dense forest. She told her about purchasing the place, and the plans they had for turning it into a bed-and-breakfast. She felt like she'd been speaking for hours, but there was just so much she wanted to tell her. The words fell like rain in a storm, until finally the story had been told.

"And that's how we came to be renovating this place," she said with joy.

"Well, it seems things are going wonderfully for you, dear. That makes me so happy. Your father will be over the moon when I tell him."

"Is Dad there?" she asked.

Her mother cleared her throat before speaking. "He's not feeling well today, so he's resting just now. But I'm sure he'll want to speak to you when he's up and about."

"Oh, alright then," Audrey replied, her voice tinged with a touch of disappointment. Disappointed as she was, she couldn't help but think that a few more hours or even days wouldn't matter much in the long run, considering how long she had already waited.

"I'd love to speak to your beau, if he has a moment, though," she said eagerly.

"Uh, sure. I'll just get him for you."

She handed Jake the phone and whispered in his ear the request.

With a broad grin, Jake introduced himself. "Good afternoon, Mrs-"

Audrey's mother interjected. "Grace. Call me Grace. There's no need for formalities. We're family now, dear."

"Grace," he proclaimed. "It's lovely to meet the woman who raised my beautiful Audrey."

"Hmm," she murmured, then asked her questions.

Audrey listened as Jake answered each of her questions honestly and politely. Her mother would appreciate those qualities, and once she met him in person, she knew she would approve altogether. Although that wasn't needed.

When Grace had completed her interrogation, Jake handed the phone back to Audrey. They shared a few short exchanges before ending the call.

"That wasn't so bad after all, huh?" Jake said.