32 - bad habit

age: 13
mom: scarlett
dad: colin

-

SCARLETT'S POV
I sat in my car on my phone, browsing through the internet and some of my messages before a tap on the window made me jump, so much i almost dropped my phone.

My daughter stood outside the car, trying to open the door but being unable, i need to get my car fixed, the passenger seat only opens from the inside, i lean open and open the door for her, letting her in. She looked fairly anxious, which i asked her about.

"Nothing, just tired" She responded, i raised my eyebrow but started my car and started driving away, Y/n was quiet the whole way home, bringing her knees up to her chest and watching out the window.

"You up for some movies?" I ask placing my bag on the kitchen island as she heads straight for the fridge, bringing out a box of blackberries, she nods her head and sits on one of the stools, i make my way round to her and kiss her cheek.

"Good day at school?" I ask resting my chin on her shoulder, she stares off ahead of her and shrugs her shoulders. I hum and use my legs hand to rub her back, she leans back into me, i stand up straight and kiss her head.

"Get changed into something comfy and we'll watch something" I say patting her back and moving away from her slightly so she can get up, she jumps off the stool and dashes upstairs, i smile to myself and put the blackberries back in the fridge.

I choose some junk food for the night and grab some blankets out the cupboard in the living room, placing them on the sofa as well as some pillows instead of the cushions that usually sit on the sofa.

"Comfy?" I ask Y/n as she wanders into the living, she gives me a nod of her head as she gently suckles on her two fingers, which is a bad habit that Y/n has carried on since she was a baby.

Everything i try to do to get her to stop doesn't seem to work, i've been trying more recently as she's been getting older and i need this habit to stop now with the age that she's at, and her teeth are slightly moulding into shape with the way her fingers sit in her mouth.

"Hmm" I hum and wrap my arm around her shoulder, pulling her hand down, she sighs and sits on the sofa beside me, swinging her legs up to the right side of her and pulls a blanket over herself, chucking one to me.

"Disney? Or something else?" I ask looking down at Y/n who's snuck her fingers back in her mouth, she leans her head against the side of my chest and shrugs, pointing to Disney on the Tv.

As the movie starts, i feel like i'm in a continuous loop with Y/n, pulling her fingers out of her mouth just for her to put them back in again when she thinks i'm not looking, but it's so obvious.

"Honey, what happens to your mouth when you keep putting your fingers in?" I ask looking down at her and running my fingers through her hair and rubbing my thumb over her forehead.

"Nothing" She mumbles hiding her face in my side so i can't reach her hand, i hum in disapproval and move her up slightly, using my hand to forcefully take her fingers out her mouth again and this time hold her hand by my side.

"Y/n, it's really unhygienic and you're teeth are going to be all over the place if you continue, seriously it needs to stop" I say, i use a stern but kind tone so she knows i'm not having a little joke around.

"But i need it mama" She tells me, her voice high pitched and sounding close to crying, i hum again and wrap my arms around her small body, rubbing her side firmly.

"I know baby, but you're a big girl and don't need anything in your mouth anymore, that's what babies have when they're little, you're not a baby are you?" I say pushing her hair all to one side.

This is probably my fault we've ended up in this situation, i felt too guilty when Y/n would scream at night when she was younger for her pacifier and caved, giving it over to her until she was 5, and she was off breastfeeding late as well, around 4.

"Well, what if i want to be a baby" Y/n huffs, struggling to release her hand from my grip, i hold it firmly so she can't release her hand as she struggles and lets out a few whines.

"Mama" She drags out in a whine, i keep quiet and kiss her head continuously, she keeps whinging until she starts crying, i let out a small sigh and lift her onto my lap, cupping her small face in my hands.

"I'm sorry baby, but we need to get over this habit it's not good for you, what will your friends say if they see you with your fingers in your mouth, hm?" I say wiping her tears with the back of my finger, she glares at me angrily.

"But it's mine" She speaks with a hiccup, leaning forward and twisting a strand of my hair around her fingers, i hum nodding my head and keep my gaze on her, her small baby face, all shiny with tears making me feel awful, but i'm trying to help her.

"Y/n, your teeth will mess up if you keep doing it, your fingers with push them forward and you'll need to get braces, right now your teeth are perfect" I say, her teeth aren't but they don't need braces or anything like that, at the moment.

Instead of arguing again, Y/n leans forward and pressed her head into my legs, letting out small tired sobs, no tears feel which clearly meant she wasn't crying, i rub her back and pat her bottom gently until she lay quietly in my arms.

"I know it's not nice baby, but we can't keep doing it" I say gently, Y/n groans shortly, i let out a sigh and keep rubbing her back, i move around so i was laying on the sofa with Y/n on top of me, she moved herself around and turned her head to watch the Tv.

So far, she kept her hand down, but usually it started when she was tired or nervous, though, she's clearly tired right now and she's fighting the urge, i see her going to move her hand but she keeps putting it back down, i kiss her head and whisper in her ear each time she does.

-

it's mother's day but i hate mother's day ANYWAY I PLAYED 2 FOOTBALL MATCHES 1 WITH MY TEAM AND SCORED 3 GOALS AND WON 9-2 THEN THE SECOND HALF OF A LADIES GAME AND GOT 2 ASSISTS