Chapter Two

She waited for him to answer his phone, hoping he wasn't busy.

If she ever needed him, he said she could always call.

"Matilda!" He finally answered, sounding half asleep and pissed off. "What the fuck, girl??" 

"I have a big favour to ask Marshall. I know it's early, but would you help me move my stuff into my new place?" 

His ears pricked up at this. "Did you finally take my advice and move to Detroit?" 

"Uh, no, why would I when I have a job in Indianapolis?"

"Indianapolis? Why the hell did you get a job there?? Are you crazy??" He went off his nut, "All right! I am NOT helping you until you tell me what job you have accepted instead of being a safety car driver!" 

"I can't, Marshall; you know that! If I could, you would be the first to know." She desperately wanted to tell him that no one knew about her new job except her new boss, whom she had met yesterday.

Finally, she heard him sigh. "I'll charter a jet as soon as possible today. Can you send me your new address? Are you allowed to tell me that, at least?"

"Why do you think I called you to help me move into my new place? And thank you, Marshall! I do love you!"

"I love you too, you crazy girl!!" He smiled, checking his watch as he hung up.

*

The house she had bought in Indianapolis was a four-bedroom, modern, newly built brick home not far from the stadium.

"It's not bad, Matilda", Marshall said from behind her, getting out of the Uber.

"How'd you manage..." she trailed off when she saw the gobsmacked look on the poor driver's face. "You'll end up plastered all over the internet... Eminem!"

"I don't care; you called, and I came!" he said, unfazed, as he hugged her tightly. "Besides, you're a lot closer to me now! London is far from Detroit, and Indianapolis is only about a four-hour drive. So, what do you want to do first?" 

"I need help with the bigger furniture first. Could you help me move a few rooms?" 

He nodded. "I would like to know your new job, Matilda." 

"Marshall, I do wish and want to tell you...but I cannot! I have told no one, not even my parents!" She sighed as they headed into the house so that she could give him a tour first.

"You didn't even tell Tom and Sally?" He breathed, shocked.

"I told them I had a new job in the States and they were going to come over soon to see my place, I was planning on this being the living room," She pointed to an open space at the front of the house, which had plenty of light.

"Would the glare from the windows be bad for the TV?" He asked.

"I have a media room at the back of the house I planned on turning into a home theatre."

"Look, just give me a hint of your new job," he pressed again as they headed down the hall.

"I was thinking this could be my new office" She ignored him, showing him the space.

"Do you have an office job? That's a far cry from driving the safety car for F1!"

"Marshall, you can keep on asking me, but I am sworn to secrecy! It's not an illegal job, it's not really dangerous..."

"It IS dangerous! I knew it!!" He snapped, stabbing a finger at her.

"It involves dancing", she admitted, wondering if that was even too much to tell him.

"Dancing?" He repeated, his mind searching every job that involved dancing.

"Do you like my new kitchen, including a little breakfast nook?" She smiled "It runs off the dining room."

"Are you a hooker now?" He asked.

"Yes, Marshall," she rolled her eyes. "I quit driving the safety car to be a stripper and do you know the actual difference? Hookers trade sexual acts for money while strippers remove their clothes and dance .... usually just for tips!"

"In most states in the US, both selling and buying sexual services are illegal, Matilda" he had turned serious.

"I am not selling my body for money by dancing for some perverts that cannot get a woman, Marshall!" She growled, close to snapping. 

"Are you a backup dancer, then?" He persisted, "If you're any good, I could use you in my music videos in the future!"

 "Would you like to see the rest of the house?" She asked, looking tired and drained of his persistence.

"Yes, of course, Matilda", he softened, "but if you ever decide to tell me, know that I will NEVER tell another soul, okay?" 

He would never tell her this, but he always had feelings for her. She was too good for him in his eyes, and with his previous relationships and love life, he didn't excel at it. 

"I'll think about it," she smiled, gently giving his hand a squeeze. "Come upstairs, and I'll show you the bedrooms, then I'll show you the backyard! There is a lovely deck out there I could really do something with! I'd love to get a jacuzzi!" 

He wiggled his eyebrows at her. "If you tell me your new job, I will buy you a jacuzzi as a housewarming present."

She slapped him playfully in the chest. He gave a grunt of pain but Matilda knew that she hadn't hurt him.

"I will earn that jacuzzi myself; thank you, Mr Mathers!" She smiled.

As he was about to bite back, the sound of her phone ringing in her pocket prevented him.

"Your new boss?" He was soon quick to ask.

 She didn't recognise the number "No, I'm not sure, actually...excuse me, will you? Hello? This is Matilda Kelly."

"Hola Matilda, it's Carlos" came the Spaniard's voice.

She actually smiled "Hola, Smooth Operator, how are you?" 

"I'm just calling to say I'm sorry you left Formula One" his words touched her heart no other driver had called her. Not a single one. "I will miss you, amiga, and I wish you all the best for the future! I know what it is like to be out of a job!" 

She did feel sorry for him, he was the only non-Red Bull driver to get on the podium; why they didn't kick Charles out instead, she would never understand, but you had to have money in F1 to be able to make a difference.

"I have another job Carlos, but I had to move to the United States! It was tough leaving London behind, despite the weather and everything else! But thank you! I hope you find another drive and prove them all wrong! I wish you all the best, Carlos! Gracias!" 

"Hopefully soon; perhaps I can come and see you in your new job, amiga?" He sounded hopeful.

"I look forward to it! Keep in touch, eh?" She smiled.

Why he wasn't married yet was another question she had no answer to.