Chapter 60 - Season 1 Finale

KAVEN

They had taken my girl into the ER as I was standing here not being able to do anything for her to feel any less pain or discomfort. Like a bum I was standing here outside of this hospital and praying that these docs would find out what was wrong with her and that they were able to cure it. 

I had so much anger and resentment in me that I wanted to tear up trees but the only way to vent was to walk up and down just so time would pass and I'd see River happy and healthy again. 

Anakins dark eyes were studying me but he kept silent the entire time. Possibly knowing, that we all had no nerves left and there were more important things right now - like Rivers health. Riley was silently crying in the corner what I really felt so sorry for but I couldn't change the situation so I reluctantly looked away. 

Just the thought of the memory of seeing her running in bare feet down the stairs below the hotel I was staying in and the horrified expression on her face made me want to slit all of the throats that I would ever encounter if I saw one shuck again. 

If Anakin hadn't called and asked me to pick them up I would have never left the building. I thought they were down at the lobby when it turned out he wasn't able to catch a cab to get to the hotel.
The chauffeur witnessing my conversation with my brother offered me to pick them up so we drove the 5 minute drive to the ferry terminal but by the time we got back hell had broken loose at the hotel. I didn't know what had gotten into Anakin when he had yelled 'shucks' and forcefully threw the chauffeur out of the car before he grabbed the steering wheel himself but I just guessed he knew what he was doing. Probably caught some details that slipped my attention when I was fixated on River running into oncoming traffic like a startled doe.

What did she say right when she got into the fucking car?

Caleb. That Caleb was a shuck.

What made her say that?

I looked over at my brother who stared into nothing.

"Hey Kin."
He looked up.
"Why did you throw that chauffeur out of the moving van?"
Anakins brows moved into an angry expression. "He knew."
"He knew what?"
"He knew that River was alone in the hotel suite and distracted you by offering his service"
His vision had shown him a glimpse and being informed by this fact my blood started to boil. I wanted to rip that mans head off.
"What do you have lying around in that hotel suite?", Anakin asked, his jaw clenched.

"Nothing Important"
"Where's the necklace?"
"Around Rivers neck"

He gawked at me like I had grown a second head. "You shouldn't have given it back to her."
"That was the only thing that protected her when I wasn't around"
"Yeah, but that's also the only thing that attracts danger when you're not around", he almost growled getting up on his feet.

"What are you guys talking about, if I may ask?"
Riley interrupted our argument with her hesitant question. "Is she going to be in danger?"
Both of us stared at her, completely speechless none of us knowing what to answer. That was the frustrating part. The not knowing.
Now I felt a huge tight knot form in my stomach as if Riley had confirmed something I had been so horrified of but weren't brave enough to admit to myself.
River had become a target of these shucks and I didn't know when and where they were going to attack. This constant tension was eating me alive and now seeing Rileys face I knew that she felt the same about her sister.