Chapter 12

[Skylar's viewpoint]

"You said that your son is dead," Karma walks towards her clenching his jaw and a crazed gleam in his eyes, his voice demanding, "Speak, Rylee."

"I had 2 sons. Landon killed his own brother and father. I disowned him after that. He isn't my son anymore," she says in a blank tone, her eyes fixed on the floor.

"And you didn't bother to tell us that before? Oh, right! You were just too focused on seducing my dad for money."

"Your dad knows! I have no idea why Landon is a part of the gang even when he knows everything."

"That old man just likes to play his games," he cusses under his breath, "well, that just gives me all the more reason to kill you!" he moves toward her but Landon stands in his way. Uh-oh, I wouldn't do that if I were him.

Karma punches him across his face and then crashes his fist into his abdomen, without giving him any time to react. He grabs a fistful of Landon's hair and crashes his knee into his face, kicking it mercilessly 3 times.

"You heard her. She doesn't even consider you as her son. Do you still want to die for her?"

"Mom, I'm sorry," he turns to Rylee, who still had her gaze downward, "Back then, I only killed dad because he was abusing you."

"That was because he saw you drowning Louise with your own hand and you smiled after that. Don't you dare call me 'mom'!"

"Louise...I hated him. You barely ever paid any attention to me because he was your golden child. I only wanted you to acknowledge me!"

"Louise was only 6 years old! You are a killer and it makes me sick to think I gave birth to you," Rylee speaks holding back a sob.

"This is ridiculous," Landon scoffs, "you tell me that and then accept Karma, a worse bastard than your son? Just because his dad is rich?"

"I just want to help Karma. He is like this now because he killed his mother as a child-"

Karma starts laughing loudly interrupting her words and making everyone's attention turn to him, "What a farce! 'Help' me?" he laughs holding his stomach, "Rylee, do you even know the entire story? When I was 5, I used to torture people as a pastime. My mom hated me for turning out like my dad. So, she stupidly tried to kill me and I only returned the favor," he shrugs nonchalantly, "I hated my mother for not accepting me as who I am."

"But- but your father said that you vomited and cried after killing her," her eyes, now watching Karma with unfazed attention.

"That's because it was my first time deceiving and killing someone. I was just a kid so it was just a shock. But I don't regret any of it," Karma's eyes change into a dark demeanor, fixed on Rylee, "And you are annoying because you look like her. I'll just kill you."

Karma lunges towards her, but Landon stands in front of him, ready to take him on. Karma scoffs seeing his obvious action and they indulge in a fist fight too fast to watch for bare eyes. Landon is doing good but I wonder how long he can keep it up.

"You knew that this would happen. Were you seriously just having everyone dance in your palm just to entertain yourself?" Damien speaks from beside me, his eyes fixed on me.

"I took a gamble on whether it will go like this or not," I shrug, still watching the fight in front of me, "how is your nose?"

"Broken. But you...you know that betraying Zion won't do you any good, right?"

"Of course," I turn to look at him and flash him a smile, "I have a plan in mind for that. Wait and watch," I wink at him and we both avert our gaze back to the fight.

"Looks like Landon is nearing his end."

Landon did better than I expected. He almost had an upper hand but Karma's speed and strength are unrivaled. So are his battle instincts. What a monster. Karma wipes the blood from his lips and looks down at Landon who is on his knees from the injuries on his abdomen.

"Please, don't kill her," Landon speaks in a ragged and trembling voice.

"You should beg me properly if want my mercy. Isn't that right, Skylar?" he smirks and glances at me. I don't like how my stomach feels giddy when he looks at me like that.

"Landon did betray me by joining you before. Do as you please," I look him in the eyes, not showing any particular emotion.

"Karma, please, I beg you. Don't kill her. Not her. She is all I have left, please. Do whatever you want to me instead," he trembles as he kneels in front of Karma begging him.

"This is what you meant by letting me see Landon in his most pathetic self, huh? I underestimated you, Skylar," Damien speaks quietly beside me.

"I kept my end of the deal," I smile at him but he just looks at me with wariness in his eyes.

"You see, I couldn't care less about your stupid emotions," Karma says in an unfaltering, emotionless voice, "you can't even do anything to stop me."

Karma ignores Landon still crouched down, holding his stomach in pain, and walks to Rylee. She doesn't even bother looking up at him because she already knew her fate. He crashes his foot into her abdomen, making her fly back and hit her back on a wall due to the impact. She gags and coughs out blood, her eyes still downcast.

"It's not even your fault. Blame my dad. I think he was just curious to see what I would do if a woman who looks like my dead mom appears. You are unfortunate to have ever met him."

He extends his arm and grabs her neck, crushing her windpipe with his fist strength. Uh-oh, he will kill her by destroying her windpipe instead of choking her at this point. I rush to walk toward him and move my lips to his ear.

"Let me tell you a more entertaining secret, sweetheart."

"Skylar, don't even try-"

I whisper in his ear, cutting him off. I'm not supposed to tell him this alluring secret but I do anyway. His eyes widen and he lets go of Rylee, leaving her face deep red and gasping for air. He turns to me and pulls me close by my waist.

"Sky, if that ends up as a lie, you know that I'll kill you, right?"

"Of course. But I bet you like me too much to kill me, don't you?" I trail a finger along his jawline with a smile tugging my lips. His gaze softens for a moment as he moves his hand on my waist upward, his warm breath on my cheeks.

But soon afterward, his gaze drifts to somewhere behind me and he moves. It all happens before I can even blink. Then there's a loud sound echoing through the room. A gunshot. And then, there's blood spreading on the floor.