Chapter 1

"This one. Show me the background of Skylar Brown."

The tall man in his late 20s wearing a black suit standing next to him nodded and started reading from a file in his hand, "Skylar Brown. She was in an orphanage previously after her family was murdered by robbers but then a man in his 50s adopted her when she was 7. Apparently, after a few years, that man got into complications with our gang and then this happened." He played a video on the projector screen in front of them. A video of 7 years ago.

Flashback from 7 years ago:

A 10-year-old little girl trembled in terror seeing the only man she ever knew that cared for her tied to a chair in front of her and knocked out, deep purple bruises and blood covering his face. A young man dressed in black with bright red hair spoke near her ear in an eerily calm deep voice, "I'm asking you nicely for the last time, little girl. Do you choose your own life or his ?"

The little girl spoke in a trembling, weak voice while tears rolled down her cheeks, "please let go of us. I beg you."

"I'll help you with your decision. C'mon let me tell you a secret," he whispered something in her ears and her eyes grew wide in surprise as more tears rolled down her eyes, a ragged sob escaping her throat.

"I don't want to die," she spoke slowly, between her sobs, looking back at the man's calm amber eyes. The man beside her placed a gun in her trembling hands carefully, making her back stiffen in shock and a gasp escaping her lips.

"Good. Then shoot him. Now," he patted her head softly and held her arms gently, pointing them at the man tied on the chair, "it's simple really. Just pull the trigger and your life will be spared."

"But... This isn't right," she whispered in a low, quiet voice, her eyes fixed on the gun.

"Nothing is ever right or fair in this world, kid. Think about the secret that I just told you and make your choice. Your life or his?"

After 2 seconds, a loud sound of a gunshot pierced through the air, while the 10-year-old girl looked at the dead body in front of her with dread and calmness. The little girl didn't break down in tears or scream in horror. She just stood there looking at the dead body and the carmine blood spreading on the floor slowly reaching near her feet, a sick heavy metallic smell filled the air. The man standing beside her smiled crazedly looking at her with sparkling eyes. The smell of blood and the sound of a clock ticking, everything seemed to make her feel sick to the stomach and nauseous. But that was the day she knew she always has to do what needed to be done to protect herself.

End of flashback.

"So, what's the condition of this little girl now?" The man asked averting his eyes from the screen on the wall.

"She was under our surveillance for a few months and she didn't show any signs of trauma or guilt. So she was chosen as eligible to train and be prepared to work for our gang. She is the type to do anything as long as it benefits her."

"Sweet. I want her on the team for this year's training game of 'The Crimson Arcane". You will take care of her. Right, Zion?"

"Yes, sir, I'll supervise all candidates of the elimination game this year to sculpt them into extraordinary gang members in the future."

"Excellent," he smiled approvingly.

Skylar sipped on her chilled energy drink can while sitting on the bank of a lake, gazing at the city lights. Her bare feet touch the cold water below relieving her stress. She pushed back her soft long hair from her face and inhaled the cold breeze gazing at the moonlight and city lights sparkling on the water. As soon as her phone rang her expression immediately turned into a salty one seeing the caller id.