Final Selection - 4

The reason I won... was because I learned to detect the scent of the opening thread. When I'm battling someone and I pick up this scent, then I can see the thread. The thread is connected from my blade to my opponent's opening, opening further the instant I see it. My blade is drawn to it with force and then I slash the opening.

Nezuko continued to watch the sliced boulder with wide eyes. She was definitely not expecting Koyuki to be the boulder, or however that worked. She heard footsteps approaching behind her. She spotted Urokodaki walking behind her, his arms waiting at his side.

"Urokodaki-sensei..." Nezuko said, regarding her sensei's presence.

"I had no intention of sending you to the Final Selection," Urokodaki said bluntly, "I didn't want to see any children die anymore. I was sure that you wouldn't be able to slice this boulder, but... you seemed to have proved me wrong, per usual."

He placed a rough and calloused hand on her head. He ruffled her hair softly, a complete contrast to how he had treated her in the past two years.

"Well done, my girl," He praised, "Nezuko, you're a remarkable kid. You never cease to surprise me."

Nezuko felt tears welling up in her eyes. She looked down at the ground and let out a small sniffle, rubbing her eyes. Urokodaki pulled her into a gentle hug, resting one hand on the top of her head and one on her upper back.

"Please make sure you come back alive from the Final Selection," Urokodaki made her promise, "Both your elder brother and I will be waiting here for your return."

Urokodaki pulled away from their hug. He gestured for her to lead the way down the mountain back to the hut. Nezuko got the message and started to descend the mountain at a walking pace, Urokodaki walking next to her.

Once they got back, Urokodaki made a beeline for the kitchen. Only a few minutes, Nezuko caught the smell of delicious food being cooked. Only a half hour later, a feast of food was prepared. Urokodaki took it down to the main room on a tray and set it down in front of Nezuko.

"Wow, what's the occasion?" Nezuko asked with a smile on her face, "There's so much."

"You've completed all of your training, so we're celebrating." Urokodaki said, "Don't be shy. Eat up."

"Thank you very much!" Nezuko thanked. Urokodaki handed her a bowl and Nezuko picked up her chopsticks and immediately dug into the bowl that she was handed.

After they had eaten, Nezuko grabbed a pair of scissors and started trimming the ends of her hair. Those ends looked lifeless, so she wet her hair with water and began trim the ends. 

Urokodaki entered the room in which she was cutting her hair, "Hey, Nezuko?"

"Yes?" Nezuko asked, briefly looking up from her hair.

"Did you enjoy that hot pot?" He asked.

"Yes! I haven't had such a feast in so long!" Nezuko exclaimed happily, setting down the scissors that had finished cutting her hair. It was only a few inches shorter, so it barely looked any different.

"A growing girl like you with a appetite should get stronger the more she eats, as well a grow bigger in size," Urokodaki said. Nezuko felt like that this was going to turn into a lecture, "But that goes for demons, too. Remember this. A demon is a strong as the number of humans that it's devoured."

Yep, she was right. It was a lecture, but she listened along anyways, "So, the more they eat, the stronger they get?" She asked.

"That's right. There are demons who gain power, are able to transform their bodies, and even use strange spells," Urokodaki explained as he went over to a cabinet. He slid open the door and pulled something out of it, "When your sense of smell becomes keener, you'll be able to tell how many humans a demon has consumed."