chapter 1

It's almost time, I think to myself, half out of breath and half cheering inwardly. I grab my packed bags as fast as I could manage and head out of the silent room. I pass my silent mom and my overbearing, drunk dad, not waving nor speaking to them. I am 18 years old and don't need or want their permission to go camping, not that they'd have cared anyway. "Where are you going Bella?" my mom said as she tossed the newspaper that she read every morning while drinking her black coffee down on our old kitchen table.

"I'm going camping with some friends," I call across the house trying not to have an attitude, which is easier said than done with a mother that was more irritating than a little sister and a dad that I despised.

"When will you be back?" she queried more, since when did she care, I bit my tongue however and answered in a patient, if not mocking, tone.

"In a few days, take care of Bubbles while I'm gone," I said, pointing toward my dog's empty bowl.

"Have fun!" she said, smiling. I couldn't tell if it was genuine or not.

I walked out to my dark, camp green jeep and threw my bags into the trunk. The weather was nice; perfect for swimming and tanning. I slid the key into the ignition and put my foot on the gas, speeding down the street. With the windows rolled down, my light brown hair flew like crazy, covering half of my face. I reached Lucy's house, which was an ugly caramel colour. Her black door swung open at the same time as her mouth, which screamed, "Party time, bitch!"

I raised my hand, waving it towards her as she came up to my jeep.

"Did you get the alcohol?" she asked as she gave me one of her usual hugs.

Lucy was the captain of the cheer leading squad and the most popular girl in school. She was a goddess to most people, but to me she was just my best friend. She was that girl that no matter how bitchy she was toward you, you acted like you liked her just so you could be popular too. Let's just say I was the nicer one out of the both of us. Her blonde hair was flying backwards as the wind hit it perfectly, making her even more pretty. The sun hit her baby blue eyes and made them sparkle.

"Yeah, well sort of, I don't technically have it but the boys are bringing it with them," I answered just as she reached the door.

Lucy pulled the door open and slammed herself against my black, uncomfortable seats. I turned the radio to hip hop and fixed my seat belt before driving down the narrow street. I had to dodge a few of the students but I finally made it onto the busy road.

Where are we at, I wondered to myself as we took a right into the woods. I was completely confused, but I didn't mention it to Lucy; she'd freak out on me and then I would get pissed and in the end we both would be pissed. I took another right then a left before I saw the lake, which spread for miles. No one else was here yet so we just decided to sit in the car and wait so we didn't have to unpack our bags. The cabin was old looking but it had a nice look to it. We rented the cabin for three days; we were supposed to stay here all spring break but the boys just had to go spray paint the back wall of the school and had to do community service. I swear; boys. I need a real man, one who doesn't go to high school.

I looked over at Lucy then at my watch, pointing out how long it had been since we'd been here. An hour passed. Ten more minutes passed, which had felt like another hour! I reached down and pulled the door handle to let myself out. I needed some fresh air. I unlocked the trunk and reached down, having to stretch my arm all the way toward the bottom because Lucy had at least 5 bags.

"What are you doing?" she screamed back at me.

"Unpacking," I sighed just as I pulled my blue small bag from underneath hers.