ch.3

CHAPTER 3: WHEN THE NIGHT CALLS
Cassia

“You’re taller than I imagined.”

I stood before a woman, but she didn’t feel like. . .like she was human. I know that sounded crazy, but something about her was off. She wore black jeans, and accompanied by her red leather jacket was a pair of red sunglasses. She stared down at me like she was studying me.

“And you sound like a bitch,” I told her, but instead of being angry and saying kids my age shouldn’t curse - she laughed. It wasn’t condescending, but genuine surprised laughter.

“Oh, another defiant daughter. Mother is going to love this,” she smirked down at me, and I hated how small I felt under her gaze.

“What do you want?” I sighed, “I’d like to have some peace in my dreams.”

She waved a finger in my face as she tutted, “dreams are for mortals, little sister,” before booping my nose, “and your dreams will always be important.”

“I don’t know if this is some twisted way of imagining I have a sister, but I don’t.”

She mimicked how I folded my arms before bending down, her face in mine and nothing but pure confidence behind her eyes, “oh, you do. You have plenty of us to argue with or bond with. Even a few brothers but I never got along with them. Men, you know?”

“My mom died during childbirth.”

She clicked her tongue, taking a few steps back, “don’t think that was the wisest thing for your dad to tell you.”

I rolled my eyes before turning to walk away.

But before I could, she grabbed my arm and pulled out a knife. She dragged the tip along my bicep before lightly cutting it.

“What the fuck?!” I pulled away, feeling the sting as blood slowly dripped down my arm.

“Feel that?” she pointed the knife at my arm, “this is all real, little sis. You have sisters and brothers who either fucking depsise your existence, or can’t wait to lure you away from mom. So, I’d suggest you listen to what I have to say.”

I said nothing as I held the cut on my arm, and she took that as a yes.

“Mom won’t claim you - not yet atleast. She wants to wait for the perfect time, and by that she’ll probably do it before or during the war. She likes the attention,” my sister chuckled, “and then, you’ll pick her side.”

“What war?” I asked carefully, not wanting this psychotic bitch to cut me again.

It fucking hurt.

“You’ll learn about it all soon enough,” she circled me, “oh, and that boyfriend of yours. Percy, right?”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” I stated the obvious.

Ew.

She held back a smirk, “he’s the key to this war. So, you’ll make him pick our moms side.”

Before I could ask anything or wonder why I was having such a weird dream, she threw the knife at my head.

“Cassia?”

Hearing Percys’ voice brought me back to reality. I looked around frantically, finding Sally and Percy at the front seats.

“We’re here,” he told me, the rain outside reminding me that I was awake, “did you have another nightmare?”