ch.2

CHAPTER 2: THE WILL OF MY FATHER
Cassia

“He wouldn’t do that.”

“We know about what you did to Cassandra-”

“Percy wouldn’t touch Nancy.”

I didn’t care that I was getting expelled from Yancy, but I did care that they finally let that brat get inside of their heads. Her crocodile tears must have been a show stopper for them to think that Percy did this.

“Cassia, you’re being expelled.”

“And I’m saying that Perseus Jackson would never hurt Nancy,” I was relentless, crossing my arms, “I would, but he wouldn’t.”

“You’ll be taken back home by this afternoon, and do tell Mr. Jackson to pack everything if you see him.”

After a few hours in the school's clinic, they immediately sent me to the office to be expelled. They asked me if I knew anything about Percy planning to hurt Nancy, and that’s when I started becoming defensive.

I would have asked where Percy was before they dragged me to the office, but seeing a stray blue jelly bean on the floor gave me my answer.

“Percy!”

His eyes widened, seeing me awake and he ran up to me. He hugged me, almost too tight, “I’m sorry.”

“Why are you-?”

“Grover told them what you did to Cassandra,” he said into my shoulder, and my heart dropped.

“Grover. . .?”

Why would he do that?

My arms fell to my sides, pulling away from the hug to look at him, “when did he tell them?”

I hated how insecure I sounded, but Grover is my best friend - second to Percy. Was he really that upset about what I did? It’s not like I wanted to, but she wouldn’t leave me alone.

“The same time he told them I pushed Nancy into the water fountain,” he expressed, feeling the same betrayal that I did.

“But you didn’t. . .right? I mean, I was kind of unconscious.”

“I wanted to, but. . .I don’t know, I didn’t even touch her, but she flew into the fountain,” he sighed, falling back onto his bed. I know he didn’t care about Yancy Academy, but what he did care about was how his mom would react.

“Think your dad will be mad at you?”

I plopped down next to him, “think your mom will be mad at you?”

I knew that my dad would be pissed. He hated it when I would walk home, usually covered in bruises, and announced that another school had kicked me out. And this time, it sucked.

Because I know my dad works overtime just to make sure I have what I need, and being kicked out would be the last thing he needed right now.

“I just hate being a disappointment to him. Maybe it would have been better if my mom never met him. . .” I trailed off, trying to hide the tears welling up in my eyes.

Percy grabbed my hand, the main one that had been maimed by the concrete wall a few weeks ago. “I’d be dead without you. Heck, I probably would have drowned in a fountain myself.”

He was trying to cheer me up, and managed to get a small laugh out of me. A small tear managed to escape, and I quickly wiped it away.

“If you drowned in a fountain, that would be such a funny gravestone. “Percy Jackson, died because he forgot he could swim”.”

“Cassia,” Mr. Brunner broke us from our small laughter, “your father is here.”

“My dad? What? Why?” Usually, they had a car escort you home.

“I called him.”

“Why?!” I almost shouted, panic rising.

“You have a great journey ahead of you, Cassia. I know you may not feel it right now, but your father is proud of you,” even though he always said he was, I never felt like it. Who could be proud of a kid that gets expelled every year?

“I had your things packed when you were asleep,” he held out my suitcase, but before I could grab it and kiss this place goodbye.

I had to hug my best friend.

I crushed him in a hug, towering over him on his bed, “If you don’t call me, I’ll find you.”

He chuckled, “blue cookies tomorrow then.”

Percy had to finish some stuff before he could leave, so Mr. Brunner decided to take me downstairs. My dad was waiting outside of his old van - the one you warn other kids about because never trust a white van.

Except this owner of this white van only had wrenches and stuff, and probably an old toilet he'd replace for a client.

“Hey dad,” I cringed at my own voice, trying to sound like nothing was wrong. He looked up at me, and I couldn't read his expression.

“I'm sorry. . .” I confessed, not daring to meet my dad's gaze, “I know you wanted me to graduate from here, but to be fair, Cassandra-”

I didn’t get to finish explaining myself because he hugged me. His body felt like it was shaking as he held me, “dad?”

“I don’t care that you got expelled. I’m just happy to see you, my baby,” he was. . .

Crying.

“Dad, what’s wrong?” I had other questions but none that I cared about if dad was crying.

He pulled away, wiping his face before pressing a kiss to my forehead, “can’t a dad just miss his daughter?”

“Doesn’t a dad usually yell at her if she just got expelled?” I retorted, still not buying his reason.

“Let’s go out tonight, okay? Wherever you want to eat.”

He’s not answering me.

Why isn’t he answering me?

But my stomach growling distracted me momentarily, “can we go to that pizza spot near the park?”

“Of course,” he smiled, taking my luggage and placing it in the back while I got situated in the front seat.

“Miss. Jackson called me. She wanted to ask if you wanted to go with them to Montauk tonight-”

I stopped him, “dad, I should be in trouble. You should be yelling at me!”

He didn’t answer, only focusing his eyes on the road.

Even when it wasn’t my fault, I still got grounded.

Now he’s rewarding me?

His hands clenched on the steering wheel as he kept avoiding looking at me, “I just think that. . .maybe I’ve pushed you too much. You defend yourself and your friends, and Yancy wasn’t going to help you thrive,” and he finally turned to me, ruffling my hair.

“So, Montauk tonight?”