Chapter 03 - Can't Help Fallin' In Love

On Minji's second day at the university, her classes concluded swiftly, leaving her with ample time to contemplate her decision regarding the band audition. Meanwhile, Aeri, also known as Giselle, remained steadfast in her determination to recruit Minji, recognizing something special in her that could potentially rejuvenate their band's fortunes. To Giselle, Minji represented an opportunity for their band to rise again, as if she were the key to unlocking their success.

The band had recently experienced a setback when their vocalist departed following a heated argument, leaving them in a state of disarray. Months had passed since the altercation, yet the true cause remained shrouded in mystery, unknown to both students and teachers alike. The band's reputation suffered as rumors circulated around campus, contributing to their downfall.

However, Giselle harbored unwavering belief in Minji's potential, sensing a strong aura about her that could captivate both girls and boys alike. She envisioned Minji as the band's leading figure, capable of commanding attention and driving their success to new heights. All Giselle needed to do was wait for the right moment to pursue Minji and convince her to embrace her role as the band's badass leading lady. It was crucial for Minji to recognize her own allure and realize the impact she could have on their band's future.

Minji found herself queuing inside the bustling Starbucks, surrounded by a sea of people vying for their morning caffeine fix. Despite the chaos, she managed to join the line promptly, eager to satisfy her own craving for a caffeinated beverage. After carefully selecting her order and paying at the counter, Minji scanned the crowded cafe in search of an available table, only to find every seat occupied.

"Crowded as usual, huh?" A familiar voice startled Minji, causing her to jump slightly as she turned to see Hanni standing behind her.

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack, Pham?" Minji quipped, her hand instinctively clutching her chest in mock surprise. Hanni couldn't contain her laughter at Minji's reaction, her gray hoodie and pigtail braid adding to her casual charm. Unlike their previous encounter, Hanni now wore a face mask, her hands full with a paper bag filled with various breads and a frappuccino. Notably, a guitar was strapped to her back, catching Minji's attention.

"You bought a guitar?" Minji inquired, surprised by Hanni's sudden musical interest.

"Yup, I play guitar too! But unlike you, I just started a week ago," Hanni replied with a giggle, her infectious laughter bringing a smile to Minji's face once again.

"C'mon, I know a place where we can sit!" Hanni suggested, and Minji eagerly agreed. Holding the door open for Hanni, Minji gestured for her to go ahead, noting the gratitude in Hanni's eyes behind her mask.

"Thank you," Hanni expressed, her smile evident even beneath the fabric covering her face.

They found themselves in a tranquil oasis, surrounded by lush greenery, towering trees, and vibrant blooms. The melodious songs of nightingales filled the air, adding to the serene atmosphere that Minji found so calming. Following Hanni's lead, they settled beneath the shade of three large trees, the cool breeze brushing against their skin as they spread out their makeshift picnic.

"Where did you find this place?" Minji inquired, watching as Hanni transformed the paper bag into a cozy picnic mat, laying out an array of muffins and cream buns.

"I live nearby, and my family often picnics here," Hanni explained, her fondness for the spot evident in her words. Minji nodded in understanding, impressed by Hanni's resourcefulness.

"That's a lot of bread, Pham," Minji remarked with a chuckle, noticing Hanni's abundance of baked goods.

"I saw you inside Starbucks, so I thought I'd bring some to share," Hanni replied, her eyes twinkling with mischief. Minji felt a flutter of excitement at Hanni's gesture, brushing it off as she teased her friend.