4

i'm back

•••

Tahlia

"The Roman Empire fell due to what?" My professor asked.

I zoned out in class staring at the white board. I was just tired today, it was rainy outside too. I would give anything to just be laying down right now. I had just gotten my hair done in preparation for homecoming.

My curls fell down my back in layers with some light brown highlights. My glasses framed my face as lipgloss beamed off my lips.

My phone dinged and it was a text from Corey. We had hung out that previous Monday. We just got some food and talked outside. It was nice to meet someone new. It was different to not have so much history, in a good and a bad way.

He was asking if I wanted to meet and maybe catch a movie. He had his car up here so we could go out. I figured why not because movies on a rainy day felt so right.

I slipped out the back entrance of my class that was boring me. I walked down the steps and through the double doors. He was at the curb waiting on his hood.

"Hi." I waved.

"Wooooo." He exclaimed.

I laughed as he grabbed my hand before twirling me around. He stopped me in front
of him before leaning down to kiss my cheek.

"Pretty girl." He whispered in my ear.

"Thank youuuuu." I blushed.

He opened the door and I hopped up into his SUV. I threw my bag in the backseat as he got in.

"I bought tickets to see Barbie." He put the car in gear.

"I looove Barbie, pink is my favorite color." I nodded my head.

"Shit I know." He laughed.

"How was your morning?" I asked.

"It was good, just hit the gym, called my momma, went to two classes." He filled me in.

"The gym? How come I've never seen you." I questioned.

"I saw you the first week of classes, you had the pink two piece workout set on. You were on the treadmill and when I walked past Beyoncé was in your headphones." He described.

"Ahhh really? I'm so zoned out when I'm running." I said surprised.

"I could tell, that's why I didn't say anything."
He shrugged turning into the theater parking lot.

We got out after he parked the car. I grabbed my buzzing phone out of my jacket pocket. Ari had texted me asking where I was. I responded back telling her I was at the movies with Corey.

He opened the door to the building and I walked in. I was enjoying his company to be honest.

We walked over to the counter and I smiled. Snacks were the way to my heart honestly.

"Lemme get two water bottles and the popcorn with no butter." He said making my eyes widen.

"Woah huh?" I looked back at him.

"You be in the gym right?" He eyed me.

"Uh yea, but I eat." I laughed.

"I just assumed you'd be on some sort of diet." He shrugged.

"Oh absolutely not." I shook my head feeling my cheeks heat up.

"My fault, order what you want." He urged me.

"I'll just get the water, not really hungry." I felt my voice get shaky.

"You sure?" He asked pulling out what his wallet. I nodded before stepping away from the counter.

I had a weird relationship with food. During highschool I always tried to lose weight and never could. My body and appearance was always a bit of touchy subject, especially with men.

We walked to the theater in silence. I looked down at the water in my hand hearing my stomach growl.

"You okay?" He opened the door.

"Yea I'm fine." I nodded my head giving him a smile.

He wrapped his arm around me pulling me closer to him as we sat down. I fell next to him crossing my legs. The movie started making me relax a bit.

~~

I laid in my dorm room bed watching Scandal as I ate. I didn't end up eating with Corey so I just ordered a pizza to eat off the next few days.

It was a really chill day and I enjoyed these. Sometimes it's always a party or kickback but I realized I don't have to be at every one.

I watched intensely as the show progressed. I had seen it over and over again but still loved it a lot. I heard a knock on the door getting up and pausing it.

"Hey." I swung the door open.

"Girllll." Tee walked in.

We had been texting back and forth. It turns out we had a lecture together too. He was really cool people and was super funny.

"Right, come in." I closed the door behind him.

"Okay hair doneee." He dragged before sitting on my bean bag.

"You want some pizza?" I offered. He nodded before taking a piece. I arched my eyebrow waiting on him to say something.

"What? I can't come see my new favorite bad bitch?" He jerked his head back.

I eyed him setting on my bed making him roll his eyes.

"Girl, who are you?" He said making me look around confused.

"Tahlia." I said slowly.

"Right but clock this tea. There's always new hot shit on campus, the guy is an athlete but the girl is typically well known." He informed me.

"Okay? What about it?" I took a bite.

"Tahir Smith is the new hot shit." He said making me nod slowly.

"Lemme find out you are too." He pointed at me.

"Huh?" I turned my nose up.

"Tahir got all these little girls falling at the knees. Maya was just sleeping with him the other week." He rambled.

I love having gay friends, they always got the hottest tea.

"Right but-"

"Look me dead in my face and tell me you ain't had him before all this." He tilted his head to the side.

"We were on and off since high school." I shrugged.

"Right but if he the new hot shit, and you got him in your back pocket, you the hottest shit." He explained.

"Nigga I don't have nobody in my back pocket, and he literally is hot shit he probably got something." I waved him off.

"Foolish, but why don't y'all talk anymore?" He questioned.

"The short version is..." I trailed off.

There really was no short version. It was so many different stories and issues we had. We went through hell and back together.

"Damn." He finished for me.

"One day, when I don't have an 8am class and I got something stronger than this water bottle I'll tell you the long version." I assured him.

"It's that hot?" He gasped.

"You is over dramatic as hell." I shook my head at him.

I never really opened up about Tahir. At the time everything was still really fresh. It just feels like rehashing what's in the past.

"And do me a favor, don't tell Corey about Tah and I." I stuck out my pinky.

"You know it." He linked the promise.

•••

🩷