Chapter Seven

Santiago landed a punch to Evranaki's ribs that sent her flying into a building. Despite her chest now being caved in, she still stood up. Her canine grin taunted them. She charged in a lopsided run but he made no attempt to move. When she got close he punched her in the jaw, flipping her onto her back. But his movements were stiff and lacked any real power. He was fighting himself even though he knew what was before him had stopped being Hadija long ago. She rolled over with her tail tucked between her legs, but he saw the slight bunching over her muscles before she jumped. He turned and she missed. She crashed and howled.

"You could've been so much more." He gave her a sympathetic look. "And yet you gave your body to the dead. This power you think you have is nothing. ."

She bared her fangs.

"Let me show you." The air around them calmed, and then suddenly she was being lifted in a tornado of trash, dirt, and destroyed cars. With a snap of his fingers they all fell to the ground. He heard Samiyah cursing as she was yanked out of the way, but he didn't acknowledge it. "Did you really think we were fighting?"

She paced angrily. Her eyes studied him in a calculating manner. Then she turned her attention to those around them. He was slightly peeved that he hadn't noticed the other werewolves approach, but he liked the dangerous look they turned on her.

Ah, so Jaeger's pack decided to be useful.

This also allowed him to step back. No matter what she was, he couldn't be the one. "She has threatened your home. Do as you will." He did his best to ignore the sounds of fighting as he walked past.

Howls of rage and pain created a strange symphony accompanied by

"You can finish this," Neaerynia snarled. Her wounds were closing, but the strain of healing twice so soon was starting to show.

He turned back to see Evranaki effortlessly bat the smaller wolves away. Some were already badly wounded. The others backed away from her, forming a defensive line between her and Samiyah. He noticed her confused expression, irritation peeking through, and couldn't stop a small smile. The young always balked at the idea of help. But then, maybe there was more to it. He'd have to stick around, just in case.

"This is not my fight."

At first she gave him an odd look, until she noticed too.

"Though it pains us we must leave."

"She will kill them."

He gave her a hurt look. "You have no faith in my teachings. And someone must tend to that gate."

Before she could protest he was behind Samiyah. Without a word he let her borrow his strength and whispered something in her ear. Then, he looked to Neaerynia and waited. She finally nodded and they left.

**

Samiyah looked after them but had to turn her attention back to Evranaki. Not knowing how long this would last, she didn't want to waste her chance.

"I can take her."

With a grunt she vaulted herself over the wolf in front of her and ran towards Evranaki. When she jumped, Samiyah slid underneath and cut off her leg. She rolled just in time to avoid being trapped beneath her. As she stood a streak of lightning flew towards her. Acting on instinct she changed her sword into a column of flame. The two powers met and exploded; knocking them both back. Then Evranaki let out a musical howl that made Samiyah break out in goose bumps. What she felt made her doubt Santiago's "not having real power" assessment. There were small "pops" of energy around them and then unnatural screeching. More of the vampires she'd faced before appeared, along with some that came in a glow. Their grotesque shapes making her stomach turn. She turned to face them but the wolves were already in motion. Evranaki chuckled, a deep rumble in her throat, as she stood and limped towards Samiyah.