Chapter Three

"Neaerynia, how nice to see you on...better terms." Santiago grinned. He wore a new pair of loose jeans.

She narrowed her eyes at him. Her eyes, color of the sea at night, were hard and cold. "What are you doing here?"

He traced the scar around his neck. "I was in the area and I noticed that a necromancer has managed to slip past the council."

She said nothing but her shoulders tensed. He made a small 'o' with his mouth; his eyebrow arched showing his amusement. Leaning back he studied the small room she'd brought him to. It was sparsely furnished with only a table, an unplugged lamp, and the chairs they sat on. Through the window he could see the surf breaking on the shore. It made sense and he would've thought to look for her if he hadn't been so preoccupied with Samiyah.

"What is she doing that the rest of the council wants to?" he asked without looking.

"If this woman opens more gates, she would bring chaos. Monsters would be able to jump back and forth...before we knew where they'd gone. But it seems you've been doing that all along."

He made no attempt to contradict her, so she continued.

"She finds our limits too constraining and thinks we're bowing to the humans."

"Ah, so you've met. Is she nice?"

She glared and then stood suddenly, starting to pace. A soft blue glow emanated from her brown skin, lighting the space around her. "If she's allowed to continue, she will attack them. She would bring us to war".

"And do you think they would win?"

She made a sharp motion with her hand, dismissing it. "Do you like the idea of hiding away again, for countless millennia, as if you're existence were something to be ashamed of?"

His expression lost all humor. "So why has the council not put an end to this?"

**

Samiyah sat outside a café sipping a cup of tea, her legs crossed to stop them from shaking. Rain drummed on the awning but she barely heard it. She kept hearing the thud as Santiago hit the ground and the sizzling of his flesh. When Neaerynia realized who he was, she took a step back. But her gaze had fixed on Samiyah and she felt her stomach drop to the floor. The air around them became freezing, their breath coming out in puffs.

"You taught our magic to humans?" her voice had shaken the floor beneath them.

Tiles cracked and Samiyah felt her legs getting weak.

"Only one darling, give me some credit."

'Shut up' she wanted to scream at him but her throat was closed. Neaerynia's eyes narrowed, and then she was being slammed into the ground.

Santiago growled; a low sound that rumbled through the floor and made everything vibrate.

"This is against our laws."

"And she is my student. Will the council fight me again?"

There was a louder growl and she was brought back to the present. On shaky legs she stood and, for once, welcomed Jaeger's embrace.

"Who do I have to tear apart this time?"

Trying to gather herself she took a step back. "You wouldn't want to try that."

He gave her an arrogant grin. "And why not?"

"She's an elemental guardian."

The sudden silence was crushing and she had to look at him to make sure he was still there. Finally he moved and sat down in the chair across from her.