Arcturus Black Cannot Be Alone

"A rumor has it..."

Waiting for the medical wing instead of working on his potion in class was not the way Arcturus wanted to spend his hour, class was done by the time he saw Madame Pomfrey on her way over to him hurriedly. He'd cut his finger because the Ravenclaw next to him reached over for something, he wasn't looking and sliced a thin line down his knuckle. The paper towel he was holding around the cut darkened with the crimson color and he swallowed the pain whenever he moved his hands.

"This is where you were?" Severinus popped into his line of sight, grinning from ear to ear. "I've been looking everywhere for you mate!"

"Don't call me that, we're not friends."

"Why are you here? I know you're not on the Quidditch team so there's no way you got an injury like that." Sev rose his brow, peering at the taller boy's hands.

"I cut my finger in potions, it's fine. I told Professor Snape I'd just put a bandage on it but he insisted I come here." Arcturus sighed, glaring at him. "I'd never play quidditch either way, would rather keep my bones intact."

"You cut your finger? You? Bollocks! You're pretty smart when it comes to potions. What happened?"

"Nothing, it's just a little cut. I'm fine."

"Did someone do something because of the whole Sirius Black thing?" Sev dropped his voice to a whisper.

"I said I'm fine! Don't you have class to go back to?" Arcturus glowered at him, but stopped when he saw Madame Pomfrey.

"Sorry, sorry. A few first years came from transfiguration, now, what happened?"

"I cut my finger." Arcturus unwrapped his finger from the paper towel revealing the thin line that ran jaggedly across his knuckle, red beading as soon as the towel was taken away.

"Ouch, that is a pretty nasty cut." Sev winced, looking away. He squirmed a little.

"Hey." Arcturus slapped him with his good hand.

"You're friend is right, that is a pretty nasty cut but I'm glad your teacher sent you here." Madame Pomfrey guided the tip of her wand against the cut. The skin repaired itself before his eyes.

Even after leaving the medical wing Severinus stuck with Arcturus, it was obvious he was worried by the expression on his face. He sneered at other students in the hall. Arcturus shrunk into himself, groaning and trying to get away from all the peering eyes around him. He didn't like being the center of attention for any reason. Before he could go back to the library and find Neville to help him with potions he had to attend defense against the dark arts. Unlike Sev he had yet to meet the teacher, and Sev was not telling him about who was teaching the subject. The Slytherin stopped in front of a classroom, he was holding Arcturus' bag watching him walk away before he turned around.

"You have defense against the dark arts, right?" The blond cocked his head to the side.

"Did you look at my schedule?" Arcturus grabbed his bag and furrowed his brows.

"Yes, now go on. Wouldn't want you to be late." Sev grinned, winking at someone in the room before he dashed away, catching up with the Weasley twins.

Watching the shorter boy walk off he stepped into the classroom and his eyes widened. He hadn't expected the professor to be someone he knew, someone that his mom knew. Arcturus and Remus stared at each other for a beat before the man cleared his throat.

"Madame Pomfrey informed me you'd be a little late, file into the line." Remus was standing off to the side of the room by the door.

"What are we doing?"