Chapter Ten

I faced the king and slowly walked towards him. 

"Do you know who I am?" I asked the wormy looking man. He looked angry but also frightened.

"You are the Hero Belle. A servant of this kingdom and therefore my own servant" the worm like man said stepping forward and finding his courage.

"I serve no man and no kingdom. I answer only to the very gods themselves, I am their tool, their soldier. Not yours" I told him her my voice firm and sure of who I am.

The king looked uncertain momentarily and then looked at the city guard that had led me through the castle and to him  "Guard, arrest this woman for treason" he ordered the guard.

She didn't move at all. She merely stood there and watched the interaction between myself and the king. Then in one swift movement, she grabbed the shield off of her back and threw it on the ground. A clear message to the king and what her stance was here.

"I serve the gods as well" she told the king, showing incredible courage.

"Treason!" he yelled. "I'll have you hung from the gallows for this" the worm looking king yelled angrily.

"Any servant of the gods is my ally. If you harm my allies you declare war with me" I told the man. He stepped backwards and almost fell over his cowering wife that stood behind him. 

I took my staff and faced it towards the cowardly man, "You would not win that war Worm" I told the man. I looked over the balcony at his so called "people". Then I did something impulsive.

"This man would have you die for his pride. I'd give you all the democracy to run your kingdom as equals and protect you with my own army" I told the gathered city. My army turned away from the people and raised their weapons defensive stances as if they were protecting the people. This seemed to empower and please them. They began cheering for me. 

"Belle what are you doing?" Renei asked me panicking. 

"Something impulsive" I told her feeling my blood pumping at the excitement. 

"These are my people. They are loyal only to me!" the king said angrily. 

I decided to test that "Are you loyal to this so called King?" I asked the people. The commonfolk booed, the nobles mostly stayed quiet knowing that they'd gain more power as diplomats. The soldiers looked mostly confused. They weren't loyal to the king. To me, I could see they were loyal to the kingdom and with me promising to protect the kingdom they were conflicted.

"The trio of gods sent me here to bring peace to your world. I want to start that task with this very kingdom" I announced to the people. This won them over. The trio of gods were the highest of the deities and were the most highly respected therefore the people loved them and their names therefore gained great sway amongst the people. 

Renei realised what I was doing and for some reason she began to play along, even so far as seeming to feel empowered by the possibility of what I was offering.

"The Hero that is chosen by the very gods themselves wishes to free you and even offers to protect you. If you want this then let me hear you" she announced and the people cheered incredibly loudly. "What of your king?" She asked and the people booed. Even the soldiers booed at him.

The king looked frightened. His own people having turned on him. I raised my hands in the air and the people cheered loudly. I Stepped off the balcony and floated gently towards the ground. My army of undead disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. I walked towards my dragon and stood on his clawed hand. He lifted me so I could be seen by all that were here.

"Dispose of this fool" I told the gathered people pointing towards the king "and workout who you would like representing you as your diplomats" I told the people. My dragon rose me higher towards the balcony and Renei held the hand of the City Guard woman as they climbed onto the hand. He lowered his hand once more and we stepped off and onto the ground. 

The people crowded around me and enhancing my voice with magic I told them all "you are now under the heroes protection, I will return in one month to check on your progress. My follower Sara will arrive shortly and will manage any issues that arise. She is a powerful and wise Sage who will represent me in my absence. Show her the same respect you would me and do know that her power could cause Armageddon on its own" I told them, somewhat upselling Sara's abilities. 

I offered my hand to the city guard and helped her onto Beliles back, to be seated with Renei and myself. She happily took my hand. I offered adventure and more for her. 

Talking only to her I told her "my name is Belle by the way". I had a friendly smile when talking directly to this young guard. 

She seemed frozen by the grandeur of the situation but then shook the cobwebs from her head and said "I'm Margaret but my friends call me Maggie. Please call me Maggie". 

"Its a pleasure to meet you" I told her before I lifted her hand and kissed it which caused her to blush. Belile flapped his wings and we began to fly back to the guild. 

Belile began to laugh deeply and so did Renei followed by myself. Margaret looked at me queerly, uncertain as to what was going on.

"That was quiet a show mistress" Belile said aloud after he'd finished laughing. 

"It talks!" Margaret announced shocked. 

"Belile is my friend and ally. I gave him many abilities however speech was always in his abilities. His intelligence is his own and makes me proud of him as my friend" I told Maggie. 

Belile sighed happily "You are too kind Mistress" he told me "but I was basically a sorry excuse for a lizard before becoming your servant" he said humbling himself. 

"Belle here is a powerful necromancer and also a gifted beast tamer. She can manipulate and enhance anything and anyone that follows her" Renei explained to Maggie. 

"I see" was all Maggie replied with. She seemed frozen by the fact that I had such amazing abilities.