Chapter Eight

I sent Sara back to the village to report to the guild representative and to collect the carriage. Myself, I rode on the back of Belile back to the town. He laughed as he flew through the clouds.

My own form had changed as well. My hair had grown and turned pitch black. It crept like a shadow and it gave me the feeling of Medusa with her snake like hair. My armour changed as well, it was no longer a firm metal. It was now a cloak of a unique metal that could be woven into any material. It felt like cotton but had a higher defence level than even the Ebony armour had. I also found that I could shape it by letting my magic flow into it. My staff had also changed; it now appeared as a long black rod with stars that twinkled across it and the odd rainbow that flashed when I used it.

Belile landed in the town square and people fled from the sight of the great dragon. Arlene ran out of the guild building, sword in hand and ready to fight an unwinnable battle against a king amongst dragons.

I slid down the side of Belile and nodded towards him, he spread his wings and flew off.

Arlene fell to her knees upon seeing me.

"You tamed an Emperor dragon.." she said dumbfounded while looking at the dragon disappear into the distance. Then she looked at me properly. "You've also levelled up quiet a bit" she said still just as shocked.

I walked over to her and gave her my hand to help her up. She stood and inspected me.

"I have indeed" I told her simply and we walked back to the guild together so that I could register the completed quest.

She stopped me outside the guild and turned to face me directly.

"Belle, you barely look human anymore. Perhaps you should raise your cowl" she told me, concern across his face. I did as she said, not that it would matter as most of the town had noticed me arrive on the massive dragon.

She opened the door to the guild and we hurried through. We went straight upstairs to the Guild Master's office where both the Guild Master and Renei were waiting. The Guild Master is an older man, he's a kind and yet very wise man with balding hair and for some reason he seems to always have a layer of stubble on his chin. 

We walked in and sat down opposite the Guild Master, Renei was standing beside him and they seemed to be having a heated conversation.

"We can't go up against the monarchy, it's treason Renei" the Guild Master announced his voice sounding frustrated.

Renei leaned over the desk "Arlene tell him we can't just give Belle over to the King" She told her girlfriend. Arlene raised her eyebrows only now catching up to what they were going on about. 

Arlene looked at me and then told them both "We can't make Belle do anything, she's too strong. Even her summons are far more powerful than we could handle" she said her voice calm.

The Guild Master sat back in his chair, seeming like he was feeling the stress of something.

"The crown sent an army, they gave us this" Renei simply said handing me a letter.

"To the Guild of Trelawny town, you currently have within your ranks a Hero level member that the king has demanded serve him. We take it upon you to hand over the Hero within three days or our army will march upon your town and raise it to the ground as traitors to the crown. Regards General Maximus of the kings Royal Army of mages" the letter read.

I handed it over to Arlene after reading it. 

"I could kill them all and enslave them as undead" I said causally and the three of them looked at me in horror. "I was joking" I said and smiled awkwardly. They all seemed to let out a breath they'd been holding.

Renei finally seemed to realise the change my body had gone through, "Belle you barely look human anymore" she suddenly bought up, mirroring the same thing Arlene had told me earlier. 

The Guild Master sat forward "Whatever you do Belle, you need to act with Diplomacy. As a registered member of our guild, whatever you do reflects upon us" he told me.

I knew what he meant by this. I was to deal with the situation myself and make the trouble for the town go away.

I nodded to him and he nodded back sharing a look of seriousness. A conversation without words being shared.

I left the room, my cloak spinning as I turned. Renei followed me but Arlene stayed. I left the guild building as well and she continued to follow me.

I turned to face her and she quickly said "we should go see the king directly. I'll help with the diplomacy".

"Okay" was all I replied with. I could understand her concern. I was new to this world and still didn't understand much of its rules. She is my friend and she does.

We walked to the town square and even before we arrived Belile was landing. I climbed upon his back and offered Renei my hand, helping her to sit beside me. 

"The king wants an audience with us Belile" I told my dragon. He chuckled deeply in his throat as he flapped his wings and took off. Renei held on to my hips tightly as we began to fly.

"The fool doesn't know who he's dealing with" Belile announced, his tone serious. Renei squeezed me a little. 

"Please don't do anything foolish" Renei said softly, concern in her tone. I turned and grinned.

"I won't let any harm come to the people I care about" I told her and then turned and looked forward. My face becoming as serious as stone.