Tell Me More

Ada was seated on the only chair available while Genevieve lay on the bed across her, arms hugging a pillow and eyes fixed on the ceiling. She said she preferred that position because it made her feel relaxed.

"Why are you making things difficult? I thought you said you'd help me," Ada said as she pushed her oversized glasses up her nose. Her entire get-up was an overkill, but she needed it to get her head in the game. Dressing all corporate did a lot in helping her flow with the thought that she was a therapist. I dress; therefore I am. Right?

Genevieve groaned as if in actual pain. "Does that mean I'm okay with you asking me anything? That's cheating."

"Cheating?" Ada's brow twitched. "You're the one who cheated first when you asked Raymond to date you then ran."

"How's that cheating?" Genevieve flung an arm over her shut eyes. "I felt like asking him out, and I did. Do I need permission from you to do that now? I thought dating him was the goal."

"I'm worried you're not taking this seriously. You guys have to end up together. To. Ge. Ther. If I fail at this—"

"Yeah, yeah. You're screwed. I get it," Genevieve said with another groan. "I just... it all feels so heavy and set in stone. Now that I think of it, I've never dated with forever in mind."

You've got to be kidding me. You literally sent a prayer up! Why am I here if that's not your heart's desire? What sort of self-contradiction is this?

"Don't you like Raymond? You're attracted to him." Ada swallowed a scream of frustration. She was terrible at cupiding and Genevieve was a complete oaf when it came to romance.

One Up High, are you seeing how badly the odds are stacked against me? It's not my fault at this point.

"It's not about attraction."

"Then what's it about?" Ada leaned forward and steepled her fingers, absolute focus on Genevieve. "Make me understand. Why does it feel heavy and set in stone?"

"I'm worried I'll end up ruining things and disappointing you," Genevieve finally said after a short silence.

Ada slouched. "Don't jinx this."

"At first, I was carried away by the excitement and novelty of..." Genevieve motioned between them. "Of all this. But as I think about it more and look at my past relationships, I get concerned. I don't think things will last between me and Ray. You said it yourself. I have a 3.09% ability to keep a relationship going."

Ada's heart sank. "You remember that?"

"Of course I do," Genevieve answered with a huff. "The day we met is branded in my head."

Ada winced internally as a wave of sadness came. When the assignment ends, Genevieve would forget her and their encounter. Seeing your assignment sucks and also doesn't at the same time. She'd miss—no, she shouldn't think of depressing things.

"You're forgetting one thing, though," Ada said in an upbeat tone.

Genevieve glanced her way. "What?"

"The reason I'm here." Ada retrieved her notepad and folded her legs monk-style. "If there was no hope for you, why am I here?"

She has the worst cupid ever helping her out. How comforting.

Ada heaved under the weight of self-doubt.

I'll make it work. This time is different. Genevieve and Raymond will fall in love. They will end up together, and I'll not be dropped.

"Thanks for the encouragement," Genevieve said.

Ada forced a smile. "Nah. Just doing my job. Relax and trust that things will work out between you two."