This is Embarrassing But...

She wouldn't stop staring at him. Senator Amanda Johnson was seated straight and poised on a throne-like wingback leather chair. A folded Newspaper swung from her loose grip as she watched Raymond.

Raymond shifted in his seat, cleared his throat for the third time, and acted as though his phone was the most interesting thing on the planet... yet the woman didn't look away.

Gulping, Raymond tried once more. "Please, is Miss Johnson home?"

She lifted a curved eyebrow, lips dipping at a corner. "I heard you the first time, young man."

A pitiful 'okay' was all he could manage.

Raymond suspected the day would go like this. It was moments like this that intensified his dislike for his father.

"You are just like your mother. No tact. Zero foresight. A dunce. Do you know whose daughter you accused of fraud? You would go to Abuja, apologize, and make that girl return to work. That was the witch's condition. And don't you dare show your face to me until you fix this mess."

Gripping his phone tightly, Raymond exhaled a long low breath. He had to do anything to make this work. Failure was not an option. There had been no need to ask for an appointment to see the Senator. His father had taken care of all that. He had called the woman in his presence, profusely apologizing and delivering drivel about how sons can be hot-headed and egotistical. Raymond and Mike, his younger brother who was in charge of their sister company, had sat through the entire conversation. After he was given a week to organise the temporal handover of the company's leadership affairs to Mike, he had flown into Abuja and headed straight to the Senator's home.

Raymond had been careful to tell the young boy who ushered him in that he needed to see Genevieve. He had hoped that her mother wouldn't be home. As he was still speaking, the Senator had strolled in. Once he introduced himself, she had chuffed, settled upon her throne, arranged her loose Ankara gown around her crossed legs, and watched him like a kite.

"You accused my daughter of stealing," she said suddenly.

Though Senator Amanda's cultured voice sounded heavy with disapproval, her expression remained blank.

Clearing his throat once more, Raymond attempted a sensible response. "It was a terrible mistake on my part and I deeply apologise. I also want to extend an apology to Miss Johnson."

She sniggered and tossed the newspaper on a marble-topped side stool. "And after your apology, what else?"

"I—"

She raised a manicured hand. "Let me finish."

Raymond nodded. He was dying to pull at the collar of his shirt. The place felt suffocating.

"What if one of those dreadful gossip blogs or magazines got a wind of this terrible mistake on your part?" She gestured with a hand as she spoke, expression still straight. "Do you think a little apology would pacify those vultures?"

"If there is anything I can do to redeem the—"

"I am afraid there is nothing you can do. God so kind, he blessed me with a girl that loves to keep a low profile. This could have escalated out of hand and believe me—" she paused, her gaze turning hard "—I would have made your daddy a very sad businessman."

Raymond itched to fly to his feet and tell her her threats were nothing but lies, but he knew—he knew his father was afraid of the woman for some reason. "I am grateful for your kindness, Senator Amanda."

Though her smile didn't come anywhere near her eyes, she still sent it his way. "I am sure you are not grateful, Mr. Dominic. You are likely nursing a bleeding ego if you are anything like your father," she said flatly. "I told your father that the only time I would forgive this slight against my daughter is if you successfully get her to work for you again." She chuckled and it sounded surprisingly genuine. "I will have you know that I am very reluctant to let her go, not back to that pitiful job and the equally pitiful pay. You are aware of her qualifications, yes?"