8 || Under the Weather || 8

Another morning rolled in. Tanjiro was once again gone to run another errand. Thus, Inosuke and Nezuko were left alone to do whatever they wanted.

Oddly enough, Inosuke himself was still asleep on his futon. Last night, he didn't feel like sleeping, so Nezuko suggested that he tire himself out to help him fall asleep. It worked...too well.

Inosuke: *Groans, the yawns* Ugh... *Wipes drool from his face and looks around* Hey! Where did Gonpachiro and Nezumi go?

A little worried, Inosuke got up and marched out of the bedroom. In the kitchen, he found Nezumi with her head down on the table. She didn't look too good.

Nezuko: *Cough, cough* Good morning, Inosuke! *Chuckles* You sure did sleep well.

Inosuke: Huh. *Feels his bedhead* Nevermind that. Where did Gonpachiro go?

Nezuko: Hmm, he *cough, cough* he's getting me *cough, cough* medicine for my *cough, cough* allergies.

Inosuke: Oh. Allergies.

Nezuko: Yeah. It's nothing serious. *Cough, cough*

Inosuke: Hm? Are you sure, Nezumi?

Nezuko: Yes, I'm sure. *Cough, cough* Allergies are normal. Nothing important. *Cough, cough*

Inosuke wasn't easily convinced though. He examined Nezuko's face and saw that it was a little red. Was she running a fever?

Inosuke: (A little concerned) You should go back to the bedroom. You don't look so good

Nezuko: It's okay. *Cough, cough* I'm sure it's nothing. Achoo! *Nose starts running and she starts shivering*

Inosuke: *Feels Nezuko's cheek with the back of his hand, causing her to blush a little bit* Your face is warm.

Nezuko: (Confused) Eh?

Inosuke: *Shakes head* You're sick. You need to rest now.

Nezuko: I...guess I feel a little bit under the weather. *Cough, cough* I'll see my way to the bedroom. Achoo!

Inosuke: Nope. *Picks Nezuko up bridal style*

Nezuko: Huh? *Blushes more* Oh, no! Inosuke, you don't have to do that. I can walk to the bedroom by myself.

Inosuke: Not on my watch.

Despite Nezuko's insistence, Inosuke ended up carrying her all the way back to her futon. He made her lie down and bundle up under the cover.

Inosuke: You, stay here. I, keep watch.

Nezuko: *Giggles* Okay. If you say so. *Cough, cough* I think some water can help flush out my allergies. *Tries to get up*

Inosuke: Oh, no you don't! I'll get the water. *Lays Nezuko back down* You stay here. *Leaves*

Nezuko: *Thinking* Oh my. That was...unexpected. *Cough, cough*

Inosuke: *Returns with a cup of water* Here. *Gives Nezuko cup*

Nezuko: *Sits back up* Thanks, Inosuke. *Drinks entire cup and lays back down*

Inosuke: *Takes up from her* Just stay here and rest. If you need anything, I'll get it.

Nezuko: *Smiles* Thank you!

Inosuke: Wait, you're hungry right?

Nezuko: Well, I haven't eaten any breakfast yet.

Inosuke: How do you expect to get better if you don't eat? I'll find us something. *Gets up and goes out*

Nezuko: *Thinking* This is so peculiar. He's just like the way he was when I hit my head. He's acting a lot like a gentleman, even if he does have a little bit of a brash way to it.

Inosuke: *Returns* I'm back. I found these cookies.

Nezuko: *Takes one* Tanjiro must have made some for us before he left. *Bites into it* Mmmm! He did a good job. *Grabs another cookie and tries to give it to Inosuke* Try one, Inosuke.

Inosuke: Blegh!

Nezuko: Oh, they're really good. Come on. Try one!

There was no doubt that Inosuke was hesitant, but he decided to try one anyway. He took the cookie from Nezuko and shoved the entire thing into his mouth.

Nezuko: *Chuckles* Don't choke.

Inosuke: *Mouth full* Don't tell me what to do! *As he chews the cookie, he starts to like the taste*

Nezuko: So, what do you think?

Inosuke: *Swallows* It was actually...kinda good. Gonpachiro did a pretty good job.

Nezuko: He did. After all, he does want to be a baker.

Inosuke: What? A baker? But he sells coal?

Nezuko: True, but he doesn't want to do that forever. I heard him once. He wants to start a bakery when he gets older.

Inosuke: Then why does he bother selling coal?

Nezuko: *Gets a little somber* Well, I think it's because of...our family. *Frowns* I think he sells coal because it reminds him of our loved ones.

Almost three years ago, Tanjiro and Nezuko lived with their mother and four younger siblings. However, while they were hanging out with Zenitsu and Inosuke, a bear ended up attacking their family. It was a tragic day for the two of them.

Inosuke: I remember. You were crying...a lot.

Nezuko: We both were. That's...unfortunately how life goes. The people we love will die sooner or later. But, *smiles* at least we had you guys to comfort.

Inosuke: Heh, what do you mean had? You still have us.

Nezuko: Yeah, you're right. We do. We have you, Zenitsu, Kanao and Aoi. You guys are our closest friends. Hah! We're kinda like family. Yes, a family.

Inosuke: Family?

Nezuko: Yeah.

Inosuke: But we're not related.

Nezuko: That's true, but that's okay. Tanjiro says that family is bonded by love, not by blood. Family cares for each other. You cared about me when I hit my head and when Zenitsu was feeling down. You're even caring again right now by looking after me as I'm sick. *Cough, cough* That's what it means to be a family, Inosuke.

Nezuko's words sparked something in Inosuke's head. He did care about Nezuko. It was clear as day. Why else did he express worry for her after her head injury? Why else is he forcing her to lie down? He wanted to be there for her. He wanted to care for her. He loved her. The butterflies had it right since the beginning. Inosuke really did have a crush on Nezuko.

Inouske: (A little nervous) Nezuko, there's something I have to tell you.

Nezuko: Is everything okay, Inosuke?

Inosuke: Uh, yeah. I'm fine. It's just that I like...I like...I like your milk bread!

Nezuko: Oh! You do.

Inosuke: I do. *Light blush* It wasn't that bad.

Nezuko: Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I can make more for you when I get better.

Inosuke: (Ashamed) Yeah...maybe...Ugh!!! Why is this so hard?

Nezuko: (Concerned) What's wrong? Are you sick too?

Inosuke: *Blushing more* Argh! No, I'm fine. Just...just worry about yourself.

Nezuko: (A little confused) Um, okay then. Well, *yawns* I think I'm going to get some sleep. That should also help with my allergies. *Lays back down*

Inosuke watched as Nezuko laid her head down to sleep. He had to admit. She looked very cute and funny sleeping there with her nose running.

Inosuke: *Thinking* The butterflies were right. I do like Nezumi. No, I do like NezuKO. She's so patient and pleasant to be around. Someone should show her the same kindness and gentleness she shows to the rest of us. To me. *Sighs* I've decided. I've got to tell Nezuko how I really feel.

♡To Be Continued♡