CHAPTER ONE

ASHTON

"Ashton, get you're damn head back up here now." Isabelle snapped at me; her hair spread out on the white pillow behind her as she lay with just a nursing bra on.

I grinned, giving her thigh a squeeze as I moved back towards her while the nurse began to do an internal exam. "I want to watch and learn for the next one."

"Ashton, you spend enough time as it is looking at it, now get your head up here." She hissed loudly and groaned again in pain as she clutched my hand, pushing her head back into pillows. "Next one? Let's get through the first one." She laughed.

"Fine," I rolled my eyes. "I won't try and see if you're dilating or whatever it is called." I felt useless right now. There was nothing much to do except hold her hand and tell her she was doing an amazing job. I had to keep her calm, mostly distracted from all the blood.

I was putting on a brave face, but I was worried.

She glared, holding both her hands up and joined her thumbs to form an O, "This is what it's going to look like, you can watch when the baby comes out. Look all you want then." 

I had to laugh, grinning. "Fine I'll stop playing doctor. Do you need anything?"

She groaned and grabbed the sheets as another contraction came on. "It hurts so bad. I stopped bleeding though? There's no more blood?" she looked up hopeful.

Glancing down at the nurse and doctor their expression told me otherwise. I had to keep her calm. "You're doing so good baby. He's going to be here soon."

"Alright Isabelle let's try having another push again. I can see his head crowning. 

Weighing seven pounds six and reaching a 54cm in length, he was perfect.

Noah Ashton Williams was born in the world fast and loudly. I've never felt relief like the way I had done once he came out crying. I wasn't much for showing emotions, but right now I was a mess. Tears down my cheeks as I kissed Belle as she held him against her chest, crying in exhaustion.

"Is he ok?" she cried out. "He's so small."

"He's perfect baby, he is perfect." I ran my fingers over his small head and kissed hers again. "He is perfect."

What the hell was I thinking, telling her I didn't want any kids with her. I wanted them all with her.

"He looks like you." She smiled as she tilted her head to check him out. "He is perfect."

The nurse took our family photo, and a few more of us together enjoying this moment together.

"Hold him," she breathed out, and I thought she was telling me to hold him, but she was telling me to grab him. "Quick."

Her eyes rolled to the back of her head just as I grabbed a hold of him, and her arms flopped.

"Fuck what's happened?" I shouted in a panic. "Isabelle?!"

"The placenta had ruptured inside of her, we need to get her moved to surgery and remove it, do you consent to this?" Her doctor asked checking her heart rate and another doing her blood pressure.

I looked at him with a frown as she was being rushed out of the room on her bed. "What do you mean? Of course I do. Do whatever you need to."

Everything happened so fast that it was a blur, I was standing in the room with Belle holding our baby, at what felt like the best time of our life and then I was standing along, holding our son as he cried loudly in my arms and my wife was being rushed off unconscious whilst the doctor spoke but I don't think I heard a word her said as my sight was fixated on her disappearing down the halls.